[D2 EA Houses of Dahab] Fortune Favors the Rich

Qara al-Hazaad

Re: [D2 EA Houses of Dahab] Fortune Favors the Rich

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Tue May 24, 2022 2:04 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:27 am
"Me? Never."

She tilted her chin up proudly,"I am meant for a life of travel and adventure, not sitting in some office at the storehouse, balancing House Menjari's ledgers. I realize being Keeper of the Ledgers is an important position within any House, one that comes with great power and responsibility. But it is not something I wanted, and not something my father saw fit to train me in anyways. Dancing, talking, massage, other things... but certainly not mathematics or bookkeeping."
Qara nodded. "Then let me ask you this...why worry about being disowned? Or is there something from your family that you truly desire?" She titled a head in curiosity. "Not that I advocate such reckless action. We Rokugani value loyalty above all." She smiled. "Though I guess I'm a Dahabi now."
Dahabi * Shugenja * Wealthy * Black Sheep * Married
Rokugani, Mekhem, thinking
Influence: 1/1/1 * Integrity: What is expected * Reputation: Glorious 1/Infamous 0
Carries: Talisman satchel, fan, fancy clothes

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue May 24, 2022 2:10 pm

That did deflate her a bit, "I mean... they are still family. My father did raise me by himself, even if I didn't always approve of his methods. So I'd like to keep those gardens unburned behind me. Be able to visit and talk, even if things aren't perfect."

She looked down at the trinkets Qara was selling, "On a more practical level, losing my right to call myself a Menjari would effect a lot for me in the City I imagine, unless Lady Majdala were to step in on my behalf."
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected
Typically Carries: Exquisite clothing, jewelry, coin purse

Qara al-Hazaad

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Tue May 24, 2022 2:28 pm

Qara nodded in understanding. "That is quite a sensible position to take, sayyeda Menjari." She fiddled with the trinkets for a bit. "Does sayyeda have any idea on the next steps she wishes to take? Between a father with an iron fist and a distant khadi hostess?"
Influence: 1/1/1 * Integrity: What is expected * Reputation: Glorious 1/Infamous 0

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue May 24, 2022 3:10 pm

She shook her head, "My father always told me I was rash, impetuous, like my mother. I have thought of many possibilities, but it seems my actions tend to be more spur of the moment, what seems right at the time. The more I actually stop and think and plan, the more it seems this City is a cage to me, and my life something to be determined for me."

Soraya looked the Hazaad woman in the eyes, "Though... perhaps I should not complain? Your people have a concept call Bushido, no? That tells you it is good and just to live a life in service of one's lords or ladies, rather than for yourself. Maybe I'm just being a spoiled brat and trying to find my own way when I should just be focusing on how I can best be in the situation the gods have put me in."
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected

Qara al-Hazaad

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Tue May 24, 2022 5:46 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:10 pm
She shook her head, "My father always told me I was rash, impetuous, like my mother. I have thought of many possibilities, but it seems my actions tend to be more spur of the moment, what seems right at the time. The more I actually stop and think and plan, the more it seems this City is a cage to me, and my life something to be determined for me."

Soraya looked the Hazaad woman in the eyes, "Though... perhaps I should not complain? Your people have a concept call Bushido, no? That tells you it is good and just to live a life in service of one's lords or ladies, rather than for yourself. Maybe I'm just being a spoiled brat and trying to find my own way when I should just be focusing on how I can best be in the situation the gods have put me in."
Qara simply listened, and an awkward pause settled. "Bushido is that, and..more. It's a philosophy laid down by our ancestors, on how to act to be worthy of the Heavens. Duty and Honor are paramount, but not the only values we have." She shrugged. "Perhaps sayyeda IS a spoiler brat. Perhaps she feels she can serve her family in a different capacity. Moral condundrums are never easy, sadly. Nor simple. That is why they are conundrums. What does your mother say of these tendencies?"

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue May 24, 2022 6:17 pm

"I do not know. She died when I was only two years old."

It wasn't really a sad memory for Sora, considering her mother had always felt more like a dream or such than anything else.

"I've been told by people who knew her that I look and act much like her. ...and I've been told by some of those people that's part of the reason my father doesn't want me taking up the family business regardless, and didn't wish for me to leave his house once I became an adult."
Influence:

Qara al-Hazaad

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Tue May 24, 2022 9:00 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:17 pm
"I do not know. She died when I was only two years old."

It wasn't really a sad memory for Sora, considering her mother had always felt more like a dream or such than anything else.

"I've been told by people who knew her that I look and act much like her. ...and I've been told by some of those people that's part of the reason my father doesn't want me taking up the family business regardless, and didn't wish for me to leave his house once I became an adult."
Qara nodded. "I see. That can be awkward, as your mother's memory only seems to be used as a stick to beat you on the head. What DID your father wish with you, do you know? Disallowed from the business, but not allowed to leave...it's hard to fathom for me, truthfully."

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Qara al-Hazaad wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:00 pm
Qara nodded. "I see. That can be awkward, as your mother's memory only seems to be used as a stick to beat you on the head. What DID your father wish with you, do you know? Disallowed from the business, but not allowed to leave...it's hard to fathom for me, truthfully."
That got a small shrug, "It wasn't as if I didn't have tutors; Etiquette, small talk, dance, gardening, flower arranging, singing, knife juggling, self defense, eavesdropping, appraisal... He always told me that such things were valuable in the high society of the City, as was beauty and charm. So I had a charm teacher as well to learn how to flirt and such. Not to mention."

She stopped there as if she'd heard something, then shook her head, "Regardless, I know his intention was for me to help serve House Menjari in the courts. But I never got exactly what that meant. I know he would have me at parties and such to talk to guests, maybe sing or dance for them, maybe make some one on one small talk with them and serve drinks or play an instrument."

...to a Rokugani mind, all this might sound like geisha training, quite frankly.
Influence:

Qara al-Hazaad

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Wed May 25, 2022 10:37 am

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:12 pm

That got a small shrug, "It wasn't as if I didn't have tutors; Etiquette, small talk, dance, gardening, flower arranging, singing, knife juggling, self defense, eavesdropping, appraisal... He always told me that such things were valuable in the high society of the City, as was beauty and charm. So I had a charm teacher as well to learn how to flirt and such. Not to mention."

She stopped there as if she'd heard something, then shook her head, "Regardless, I know his intention was for me to help serve House Menjari in the courts. But I never got exactly what that meant. I know he would have me at parties and such to talk to guests, maybe sing or dance for them, maybe make some one on one small talk with them and serve drinks or play an instrument."

...to a Rokugani mind, all this might sound like geisha training, quite frankly.
Qara nodded in understanding. "I see...so you were meant to be a pretty bride, I guess? Though knife juggling...is not a usual skill, at least ont back home. " She titled her head. "How do you envision your desired future sayyeda?"

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Wed May 25, 2022 3:10 pm

"No, I suppose knife juggling is a more exotic skill. Same with some other things. Variety is the spice of both life and entertainment though... As to how I envision my life..."

Soraya shrugged softly.

"It's mostly hopes and dreams, sayyeda. The realistic version is as you say; My father one day finding a husband for me that would be politically advantageous for him. Who knows? Maybe my arrangement with Lady Majdala may postpone that or stop it entirely, I am unsure; Though really, father has told me in the past he's no intention of marrying me off, so maybe I'm wrong either way..."

She smiled a little at Qara.

"As to the dream part? I picture myself owning a place in the city for people to come and relax, a bathhouse or a library or such. And I'd have many animals and friends. Lovers... maybe marriage, maybe children. I'm not sure when on those last two."
Influence: