Ebb and Flow [D1, LE, River Quarter]

Faruq Al-Farhan

Ebb and Flow [D1, LE, River Quarter]

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 pm

Who would have thought? Walking through just like this, he had met a city guard doing the rounds. A city guard he would some days later save and drag home, bleeding through the streets, after being shot almost to death by a Khadi. As much as he tried to keep his mind clear, he couldn't help coming back to some thoughts. So much had happened in so little time. It was odd how much the odd of the city went over people's heads - his included, at least in most things - as normal most of the time.

He had no obligation to do the rounds himself, of course. But thinking about all that, his feet carried him to the same area with his mind none the wiser. He took a deep breath - this area was so much calmer than the parts of the city he was most used to. It was... at the same time peaceful and violent, seeing the calm, the beautiful historical buildings and those whose wealth gave them a home here - and in the back of one's mind remembering the faces he'd often see in the Khesir Quarter.

Another deep breath, and he moved closer to the river, his eyes on the water. Thinking about the water's movement seemed to help. That was the way of things. Things always changed. No matter how strong or perennial - things always changed.

His mind wandered to his sister. Things had changed indeed, and for the better.

So much to think of, so much to deal with... but was this the kind of thing that was better dealt with by just letting it be?

The flow of the water seemed almost like a lesson.
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Claudia Gabinus

Re: Ebb and Flow [D1, LE, River Quarter]

Post by Claudia Gabinus » Sat May 21, 2022 8:02 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 pm
Snip
A shadowy figure emerges out of the darkness, and it's heading right for Faruq! Well, as much as Claudia is able to head right for a single direction.

"Ave friend!" The figure resolves into an olive-skinned woman wearing a black toga with a heavy leather satchel bouncing on her hip.
"Can you tell me which side of the river we're on? My house is on the south side...I think."

She looks around as if the bungalow might just materialize out of the shadows."
Yodotai * Surgeon * Wanderer * Fights If She Has To * Very Haunted * Thirsty For Knowledge*
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1 *Glorious 1, Infamous 0* Integrity: Average

Equipment usually present: Pugio, toga, medicine kit, surgeon’s kit, traveling pack.
If socially acceptable: Sword/Shield/Armour/Ghost

Languages: Mekham, Yodotai

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sat May 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Claudia Gabinus wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 8:02 am
A shadowy figure emerges out of the darkness, and it's heading right for Faruq! Well, as much as Claudia is able to head right for a single direction.

"Ave friend!" The figure resolves into an olive-skinned woman wearing a black toga with a heavy leather satchel bouncing on her hip.
"Can you tell me which side of the river we're on? My house is on the south side...I think."

She looks around as if the bungalow might just materialize out of the shadows."
For a moment, the man looked at the olive-skinned woman as if he might be imagining her there - head tilted, one eyebrow slightly raised, face blank. Maybe because his mind was still partly on his reverie. Maybe because the whole thing was a bit wacky.

Also... ... Ave? That was... was that the name of a bird? Oh... I think some of the outsiders used that was a greeting. Not nomads, though... who, then?

After an awkward half a minute of silence, he finally greeted her properly. "Ah... peace be with you, Sayyeda! So... you say you live here in the River Quarter, then?" He looked at her unconsciously squinting his eyes slightly. "Ah... we're on the East bank, Sayyeda. You said your house was... further south? Ah... how far south?"
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Claudia Gabinus

Post by Claudia Gabinus » Sat May 21, 2022 11:03 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:03 pm

Snip
"The river quarter? Is that where we are?"
She eyes the river with interest, it did seem to add up.

"I think my house is in the Merchant quarter. But if this is the east bank..." She looks left and right. "No, but I swear I recognise the river, there's only the one yes."
Before Faruq can respond she turns and glares at the darkness "We are not lost."
Yodotai * Surgeon * Wanderer * Fights If She Has To * Very Haunted * Thirsty For Knowledge*
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1 *Glorious 1, Infamous 0* Integrity: Average

Equipment usually present: Pugio, toga, medicine kit, surgeon’s kit, traveling pack.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 22, 2022 8:11 pm

Claudia Gabinus wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:03 pm
"The river quarter? Is that where we are?"
She eyes the river with interest, it did seem to add up.

"I think my house is in the Merchant quarter. But if this is the east bank..." She looks left and right. "No, but I swear I recognise the river, there's only the one yes."
Before Faruq can respond she turns and glares at the darkness "We are not lost."
He looks at the woman a bit surprised, nodding after a moment. "The river quarter, yes! And only one river, indeed.", he confirms, somewhat at a loss, soon adding an encouraging smile. "Not lost, no! Ah... we'll get where you need, Sayyeda, no worries!"

He looks at the river, then around, then at her. So... Merchant quarter, yeah? Close to the grand Bazaar? Or... when you leave home to go to the Thoroughfare, do you have to cross the river?"

He half regrets asking it like this, but it's already out by the time he thinks about it...

Claudia Gabinus

Post by Claudia Gabinus » Sun May 22, 2022 9:44 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:11 pm

Snip
"Yes, sometimes twice."
She smiles and nods as if that's cleared that up.

"Oh I know, it has the pink roof, and it's opposite that big house thing of the al....the al...Al-Kwarzhims. I think they're some kind of wealthy merchant family."
Claudia pauses and while she's waiting for that info to create a perfectly clear picture in Faruq's mind she adds:
"And my name is Claudia of the Gabinus family, it is nice to be meeting you here."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 22, 2022 10:54 pm

Claudia Gabinus wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:44 pm
"Yes, sometimes twice."
She smiles and nods as if that's cleared that up.

"Oh I know, it has the pink roof, and it's opposite that big house thing of the al....the al...Al-Kwarzhims. I think they're some kind of wealthy merchant family."
Claudia pauses and while she's waiting for that info to create a perfectly clear picture in Faruq's mind she adds:
"And my name is Claudia of the Gabinus family, it is nice to be meeting you here."
Faruq blinks twice before answering again. This was confusing... but maybe they were getting somewhere.

"Al Kwarzhims, eh?" He creases his brow. Did he know them? Nah... unlikely. "Ah, my pleasure, Sayyeda Gabinus! Faruq Al-Farhan", he says nodding and extending his hand to her in greeting, then gesturing to one side "Well, let's make our way south. Maybe you'll recognize the houses as we get near."

Wishful thinking, maybe? But it was a way to start...

Claudia Gabinus

Post by Claudia Gabinus » Sun May 22, 2022 11:40 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:54 pm
Snip
"Well met Si Al-Farhan." She holds up her hand for a moment in greeting before nodding and heading in the opposite direction he indicated before slowly walking in a circle to end up going south.

"That is an excellent idea. There are only so many houses in the city after all."
Now heading south the Yodotai walks with speed, although not so fast as to leave Faruq behind.

"What is it you do for a job? Are you a fisherman?"

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 22, 2022 11:49 pm

Claudia Gabinus wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:40 pm
"Well met Si Al-Farhan." She holds up her hand for a moment in greeting before nodding and heading in the opposite direction he indicated before slowly walking in a circle to end up going south.

"That is an excellent idea. There are only so many houses in the city after all."
Now heading south the Yodotai walks with speed, although not so fast as to leave Faruq behind.

"What is it you do for a job? Are you a fisherman?"
"A fisherman?" He asks, somewhat incredulous, and Claudia will see the shape of a grin on his face if she looks at him. He looks around - there are indeed some who fish in the Nahr'umar. Not many, but there are.

He shakes his head. "Oh, no. Nothing of the kind. I've done many things in my life, but never fishing. Since a few years back, I mostly provide my services as a healer - mostly in humble neighbourhoods, nothing fancy. Sometimes helping those who can't afford to pay." He looks at her for a moment. "It's not much, and I sometimes wonder how much of a difference it could make. But I keep telling myself even one person who keeps walking for another day could maybe make a difference."

He keeps walking a couple feet behind her, somewhat surprised at her suddenly quick steps. "What about Sayyeda Ghabin-is?", he then asks, doing a good job of butchering the foreign surname.

Claudia Gabinus

Post by Claudia Gabinus » Sun May 22, 2022 11:55 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:49 pm

Snip
"A healer?" She perks up a little, back straightening, eyes lighting. "Most interesting, are you one of the magic healers I have met? Those who can close wounds with just words?"
She gestures to her own satchel. "I am a surgeon." As if Faruq wouldn't understand the term. "Someone who heals with natural medicine and if necessary, sometimes opening the body. Your words are good ones I think. We don't heal to fix-" She gestures at the dark city around them "-all of this, but to heal people. A boy who walks again because of you is a victory, yes? That is a difference."