Down a blind alley [D1, LA, Maze]

Faruq Al-Farhan

Re: Down a blind alley [D1, LA, Maze]

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 22, 2022 7:53 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:18 pm
"Born and raised in the Maze. I've wandered in its streets for far more than a month in my life. Though not all at once.

As for the Khesir Quarter... Once bitten, twice shy. I keep myself as far away as I can from dark magic."

Al-Haddar snapped his fingers:

"As for you, you definitely have the doctor's curse.

To treat an infectious disease, a doctor must often expose themselves to the disease in some capacity. But if the doctor catches the disease, then they die, and cannot heal anyone anymore. That's the doctor's curse. Having to balance between short term good and long term good."
The wound in the woman's foot properly cleaned, Faruq throw some water on it and started bandaging it.

"Doctor's curse, hm? Don't think I'd heard that put that way before." He shrugs. "Balance's always hard to find, I suppose, mish heek? And really... that definitely applies to doctors... but doesn't it to most?" He gestures around. "Isn't there something, or someone, you would put yourself at risk for? Family? Friends? A special someone, maybe? Something you treasure?"

He gives the old woman a smile as he finishes the bandage "Go safely, hajje!"

Then looking at Al-Haddar again. "Speaking of safely, Sayyid. Once bitten, eh? Care to share the story?"
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sun May 22, 2022 10:18 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:53 pm
The wound in the woman's foot properly cleaned, Faruq throw some water on it and started bandaging it.

"Doctor's curse, hm? Don't think I'd heard that put that way before." He shrugs. "Balance's always hard to find, I suppose, mish heek? And really... that definitely applies to doctors... but doesn't it to most?" He gestures around. "Isn't there something, or someone, you would put yourself at risk for? Family? Friends? A special someone, maybe? Something you treasure?"

He gives the old woman a smile as he finishes the bandage "Go safely, hajje!"

Then looking at Al-Haddar again. "Speaking of safely, Sayyid. Once bitten, eh? Care to share the story?"
"The story is walking around the city telling everyone it's looking for me, so might as well give you my version before it reaches you."

The peddler took on his dramatic voice:

"My dear brother. Kuz. He got too close to the fire. Not sure which flame he had been tiptoeing around exactly but I was there when he got burned. No idea what killed it. Or how. But it did.

And since then, there's a certain zuK, a living mirror image of the man whose name he has mirrored, who's been seeking me. And I'm not exactly in a hurry to meet that character."

Al-Haddar didn't mention the spirit of his brother was also piggybacking his mind since the incident. That was still a family secret even if he suspected zuK was very much aware of it.
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 22, 2022 11:40 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:18 pm
"The story is walking around the city telling everyone it's looking for me, so might as well give you my version before it reaches you."

The peddler took on his dramatic voice:

"My dear brother. Kuz. He got too close to the fire. Not sure which flame he had been tiptoeing around exactly but I was there when he got burned. No idea what killed it. Or how. But it did.

And since then, there's a certain zuK, a living mirror image of the man whose name he has mirrored, who's been seeking me. And I'm not exactly in a hurry to meet that character."

Al-Haddar didn't mention the spirit of his brother was also piggybacking his mind since the incident. That was still a family secret even if he suspected zuK was very much aware of it.
Faruq presses his lips slightly, his eyes down. "I'm sorry to hear that, Sayyid. May your brother's soul find peace".

Which sounded... somewhat unlikely, given the other things Al-Haddar said.

"A... mirror image, you say? That sounds ominous, to say the least..." He seems thoughtful, brows creased. "Have you consulted someone about this? Is that image... something that comes to you at times, or something of the sort? It sounds almost as some sort of curse, and if it came to you..."

He presses his lips again. There were many secrets under the surface in this city. The man didn't seem particularly eager to dig those, even though they affected him. Should he?

"I assume you don't know whether your esteemed brother had... interesting contacts, do you?", he finally asks, tentatively.
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon May 23, 2022 4:31 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:40 pm
snip
"Oh, I'm sure Kuz was on something big when he died, which means he must have been in contact with quite shady characters. Who however? He never told. Was hoping to protect us by keeping us as uninvolved as possible I suppose. And now, he cannot answer anymore."

A technically true statement, as al-Haddar had asked the ghost in numerous occasions, but apparently these specific memories were nowhere to be found. Which was suspicious as fuck.

"I've only seen Zuk with my own eyes on one occasion. Looked as rich as my brother was poor, and as outstanding as my brother was ordinary, but otherwise the spitting image of what Kuz was in life.

He is apparently waiting for me at Nahr'umar's Kiss if the name rings a bell. As for help... Tried a few contacts, but, as you may have guessed, affairs of sorcery are a bit outside the skills' range of the people I hang out with. Ratcatchers, laborers, peddlers, menders, even united, aren't equipped to deal with magic."
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon May 23, 2022 7:11 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:31 pm
"Oh, I'm sure Kuz was on something big when he died, which means he must have been in contact with quite shady characters. Who however? He never told. Was hoping to protect us by keeping us as uninvolved as possible I suppose. And now, he cannot answer anymore."

A technically true statement, as al-Haddar had asked the ghost in numerous occasions, but apparently these specific memories were nowhere to be found. Which was suspicious as fuck.

"I've only seen Zuk with my own eyes on one occasion. Looked as rich as my brother was poor, and as outstanding as my brother was ordinary, but otherwise the spitting image of what Kuz was in life.

He is apparently waiting for me at Nahr'umar's Kiss if the name rings a bell. As for help... Tried a few contacts, but, as you may have guessed, affairs of sorcery are a bit outside the skills' range of the people I hang out with. Ratcatchers, laborers, peddlers, menders, even united, aren't equipped to deal with magic."
The man nodded. "Well, he wanted to keep you safe for good reason, apparently. This Zuk though... from what you said, he isn't a real person though? Or... is he someone one could find about through normal means?"

He thinks for a moment. "Depending on what kind of thing needs finding out... maybe the upcoming festivities might be a good time to look for answers? With the monks, at least - religious folks do know some things about such matters, mish heek?"

Maybe he could find something out, even? Although he wondered... was that wound something he should expose himself to?

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:11 pm
snip
"I have no idea what zuK is at the moment. That's the main issue I would say. My life would be far simpler if I was assured I could deal with it simply by hanging a bit of garlic by my window.

But yeah, I'm trying to patch things up with the clergy at the moment. They're still a bit bitter about some old story of disappeared offerings from a long time ago. But we're working through that misunderstanding together. Hopefully the festival will speed up the process."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Tue May 24, 2022 1:19 am

Al-Haddar wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:58 pm
"I have no idea what zuK is at the moment. That's the main issue I would say. My life would be far simpler if I was assured I could deal with it simply by hanging a bit of garlic by my window.

But yeah, I'm trying to patch things up with the clergy at the moment. They're still a bit bitter about some old story of disappeared offerings from a long time ago. But we're working through that misunderstanding together. Hopefully the festival will speed up the process."
The healer looked at the other man somewhat askance. "I see", he finally answers - and perhaps surprisingly, there's no judgment in his voice. "Let's hope it does speed up the process, alays khdlk?", he says, using a somewhat more formal tag question than before - maybe because they were talking about religion?

He then gestures to the general direction of the Mekham Quarter with his head. "I... may not be in town full time for a long time after the festival, but I do live nearby for the time being, at least. Not sure there's much my healing can do about your ailments, Sayyid, but if you think you might want some help - or just a simple cup of coffee and a piece of bread - you can find me close by.

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue May 24, 2022 7:33 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:19 am
snip
"Sure. Always happy to make new friends."

The list of Haddars's friends was very long, each ranked according to many variables: practical skills, solvability, trustworthiness... Oh, and amity too. At the moment, Faruq was still in the "newcomer; not enough data" category.

"Giving a try at the big adventure then? Departing with the Ra'Shari caravan maybe? It was hinted I could just do that if I wanted to get away from this place.

And I guess that, from time to time, I'm tempted."