Thrown Weapons

How should thrown weapons be handled in future games

Poll ended at Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:20 pm

Thrown knives and improvised weapons stay under Athletics
31%
Thrown knives are handled under the Knives skill, improvised weapons stay under Athletics.
54%
All thrown weapons (knives, spears, tsubute, shuriken, improvised) now fall under a single skill Thrown Weapons
15%

Total votes: 13

Raya

Re: Thrown Weapons

Post by Raya » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:36 pm
I'm pretty sure throwing knives uses Agility per RAW.
Just clarifying this part - I meant making it use reflexes when throwing, like Ninjutsu uses reflexes for throwing weapons and agility for melee weapons, and Kyujutsu uses reflexes for archery. It doesn't actually say what trait to use (but it also doesn't say to use a different trait) in the weapons section which is what you were likely referring to:
Knives and wakizashi can be thrown using the Athletics Skill. Various spears can be thrown using the Spears Skill, and the Ninjutsu Skill allows
a character to throw shuriken and tsubute as ranged weapons. Unless otherwise specified, thrown weapons add the wielder’s Strength to the weapon’s DR when determining damage, just as melee weapons do.
Ra'shari * Ninja * Dancer * Pretty * Lovely Voice * Sweet * Exciteable * Quiet when she wants to be * Profile
Influence: 1 | Reputation: 2.3 | Integrity: Untrustworthy
Equipment: Dancers clothing (almost all the time), a smile, a pack of cards and a bubbily attitude. Maybe a knife
Languages: Mekhem, Ra'Shari

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:55 pm

I see!
I said that b/c you mentioned Strength for throwing. Just found it - and it's as awful in terms of organisation as I remembered. There's the part you mentioned saying which weapons use Athletics, and then under the Athletics skill:
Why spread things thus, oh Core Book wrote: Athletics Skill rolls to climb, run or swim use Steength, whereas the Throwing emphasis uses Agility
So you must look in a few different places to find it but it IS coded that throwing things (other than with Ninjutsu...) uses Agility!
Last edited by Faruq Al-Farhan on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Raya

Post by Raya » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:02 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:55 pm
I see!
I said that b/c you mentioned Strength for throwing. Just found it - and it's as awful in terms of organisation as I remembered. There's the part you mentioned saying which weapons use Athletics, and then under the Athletics skill:
Why spread things thus, oh Core Book wrote: Athletics Skill rolls to climb, run or swim use Steength, whereas the Throwing emphasis uses Agility
So you must look in a few different ways to find it but it IS coded that throwing things (other than with Ninjutsu...) uses Agility!
I did not know this...today I learnt :lol: thank you!
Ra'shari * Ninja * Dancer * Pretty * Lovely Voice * Sweet * Exciteable * Quiet when she wants to be * Profile
Influence: 1 | Reputation: 2.3 | Integrity: Untrustworthy
Equipment: Dancers clothing (almost all the time), a smile, a pack of cards and a bubbily attitude. Maybe a knife
Languages: Mekhem, Ra'Shari

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:05 pm

Raya wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:02 pm
I did not know this...today I learnt :lol: thank you!
The joys of the organisation of l5r books! XD
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Asher

Post by Asher » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:49 am

But Athletics is the only combat skill I have! :)
Mekham * Dahabi * House Basiri * Diplomat * Archeologist * Merchant * Curious * Linguist * Local
Influence: City 1 / Dahabi 2/ Faction 1 * Reputation: Glory 3.3/Infamy 0 * Integrity: What is Expected

Speaks: Mekhet, Senpet, Ra'Shari, Yodatai, Rokugani, Invidi
Street Equipment: Nice Clothes, Canteen, Locksmith tools, Calligraphy Kit, Flint & Tinder, Knife
Field Equipment: Sturdy Clothes, Pack, Torches, Rope & Grapple, Blanket, Rations
Companion: Jadzia (Gorilla) - Equipment: Canteen & Medical Kit

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:54 pm

Throwing knives will now be part of the Knives skill while improvised thrown weapons will remain under Athletics.
GM • City of Stories