Clue Point Spending

Jewel

Re: Clue Point Spending

Post by Jewel » Fri May 27, 2022 8:35 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:27 pm
Note that we cannot seal Earth spells. Dunno if on purpose.
Very much on purpose since necromancy is Earth. They'll always have at least that much - it's more about removing potential buffs and combat versatility.
GM • City of Stories

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 pm
Do characters have to be in the Sewers, and thus exposed to the fight even without fighting abilities whatsoever? Is this more of a common pool of points to be assigned with a collective decision? Something in between?
I'll second the question - can people who got Clue Points but don't want to be in the Sewers contribute?

Not that Faruq would jump out, mind. He's definitely in. Not great in a fight, not really, but *might* be able to help.

Point-wise -

Got ninja'd by Al-Haddar's post, but:

Removing Free rounds sounds good. Removing one weirdghul seems good too.

Equipment and extra participants would depend on who comes. If Claudia comes, she might want extra equipment.

And... removing spells might be better than removing another weirdghul? Not sure as I'm not sure which spells they would have available, but if the guy had access to ALL spells (unlikely, but best way to be prepared for anything I guess?), we'd want to look out for:
  • Fire - -2k1 to our rolls or +2k1 to the caster's or a ghul's rolls would be horrible. +2k0 to ghul damage doesn't sound pretty either.
  • Water - Transforming into a gorilla (especially if he can still cast while transformed) or screwing the mind of one of our people is pretty dangerous. Illusions might be bad, but possibly more manageable.
  • Air - I don't think they'll be calling Jinn while we're there, so the dangers here would be him throwing stuff/elements at us, making our weapons useless or throwing them out of reach, or maybe transforming into air. Not pretty, but maybe not as bad as Fire/Water?
  • Void - Might make it harder for us to hide, they might see what we're doing in advance, etc. But the most directly dangerous would be "the target gains a bonus equal to the caster’s School Rank x2 to all rolls they make and their ArmorTN as they live, for a few brief moments, just slightly ahead of everyone else.", which might be up to +8 (I guess?) to all rolls and TN for one target for 5 rounds.
So if I had to choose... maybe Fire/Water? That'd be 6 points.

We *might* want to leave them with 1 round to prepare and remove three. Not sure how bad 'preparing' would be for us - would probably involving casting for buffs, so if they have less spells to use that on, might make less of a difference.

But not 100% sure there.
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Qara al-Hazaad

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Fri May 27, 2022 8:46 pm

Removing ghuls or adding people should always be king, cause action economy.

I guess my big question is, besides Qara potentially, (if the dice are right), who else are we thinking that can do good damage?

My Jinn bodyguard has Blessing 1 (+2k1 to roll), Life 2 (restore 2 VP), Life 2 (remove wound penalties) and Influence 2 (alter memories)
Dahabi * Shugenja * Wealthy * Black Sheep * Married
Rokugani, Mekhem, thinking
Influence: 1/1/1 * Integrity: What is expected * Reputation: Glorious 1/Infamous 0
Carries: Talisman satchel, fan, fancy clothes

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Fri May 27, 2022 8:47 pm

Damn, Water is Mind Control AND Illusion AND Shapeshifting? Definitely an argument to ban that. A bad guy is certain to have at least one of those.
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Raya

Post by Raya » Fri May 27, 2022 8:48 pm

Magic users will be king here. The reduction on damage means knives are nearly worthless, and I think any other big weapon user is gone (unless Claudia has one)
Ra'shari * Ninja * Dancer * Pretty * Lovely Voice * Sweet * Exciteable * Quiet when she wants to be * Profile
Influence: 1 | Reputation: 2.3 | Integrity: Untrustworthy
Equipment: Dancers clothing (almost all the time), a smile, a pack of cards and a bubbily attitude. Maybe a knife
Languages: Mekhem, Ra'Shari

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Fri May 27, 2022 8:50 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:39 pm
Al-Haddar wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 7:51 pm
Do characters have to be in the Sewers, and thus exposed to the fight even without fighting abilities whatsoever? Is this more of a common pool of points to be assigned with a collective decision? Something in between?
I'll second the question - can people who got Clue Points but don't want to be in the Sewers contribute?
Right, all Clue Points earned in the event are applicable even if the character doesn't join the assault. Beyond that options to contribute to combat are limited if not present for it (buffs lasting more than an hour would work but I think the only being with that among those involved is the Jinn who will be there anyway).
GM • City of Stories

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Fri May 27, 2022 8:51 pm

And, just for the record, this is not a campaign ruining danger. It is possible for PCs to decide to just nope out. It will make the city worse, for sure, but it isn't a nuke. (Same if they fail)
GM • City of Stories

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Ah, forgot Sling was Athletics based. So Al-Haddar actually has a very good attack roll.

Let me just check how much damages this does... 2k1 apparently.

Uh... Nobody would happen to have the Craft: Blessed Marbles skill by any chance?
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Qara al-Hazaad

Post by Qara al-Hazaad » Fri May 27, 2022 8:55 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm
Ah, forgot Sling was Athletics based. So Al-Haddar actually has a very good attack roll.

Uh... Nobody would happen to have the Craft: Blessed Marbles skill by any chance?
Better than default knife damage!
Dahabi * Shugenja * Wealthy * Black Sheep * Married
Rokugani, Mekhem, thinking
Influence: 1/1/1 * Integrity: What is expected * Reputation: Glorious 1/Infamous 0
Carries: Talisman satchel, fan, fancy clothes

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Fri May 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Qara al-Hazaad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:55 pm
Al-Haddar wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm

Better than default knife damage!
This is after adding Strength. Base is 0k1.