A Fest of Arrows OOC

Jewel

Re: A Fest of Arrows OOC

Post by Jewel » Sat May 08, 2021 8:57 am

Faction goals will be very broad - more things they would like to see happen than a straightjacket command.

Faction events will be small side events that are faction flavored (and likely just in the faction PF) and with rewards that are largely in-faction (such as Influence) so as not to overly penalize the unaligned.
GM • City of Stories

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Sat May 08, 2021 9:47 am

Well, and some origins can be faciton stand-ins....

Yodotai, Rokugani, and Ra'Shari can have agendas they have in play without regard to faction as such, and the Moto can probably get up to a dirty trick or two...
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Sat May 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Re: Faction, if nothing else, you can also do some events where the reward could go to a faction, with multiple factions kinda competing? In that case, at least Unaligned can take part and maybe get rewarded/paid for helping a faction? Kind alike how Summe rcourt did it.

Of course, that entails factions competing, which might not always work.
Invinda * Kshatriya * Warrior * Prodigy * Khadi's Hound * Betrothed
Influence: 1/3/1 * Reputation: 1.0 * Integrity: Honorable
Languages: Mekhem, Ivindi
Carries on duty: Tulwar, light armor, shield
Carries off duty: elegant clothing, kukri

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Sat May 08, 2021 6:32 pm

For small games, it feels like personal stories are the way to go. Which can come from factions. But otherwise we've got, what, 0-2 people per faction, and you never know who is going to drop or be unable to really take part.
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Sat May 08, 2021 6:48 pm

Yeah, no faction here. I almost went with the Assassins at character creation, but I think this worked fine. Factions and deeper conflicts feel nice to kind of grow into organically.
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected
Typically Carries: Exquisite clothing, jewelry, coin purse

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Sat May 08, 2021 6:59 pm

Ali ibn Farid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:32 pm
For small games, it feels like personal stories are the way to go. Which can come from factions. But otherwise we've got, what, 0-2 people per faction, and you never know who is going to drop or be unable to really take part.
This. It's really hard to do factional fighting with small and short as the game setup. You could conceivably have something cumulative in place over a bunch of games, but...that seems finicky to deal with. You almost always have a decent 3-6 players who bring in backstory/advantages/disadvantages to riff off of and flesh out the bones of a small game. But it's harder to count on having good factional representation.

And most of the factions have some broad goals as part of the setting that can drive personal ones pretty readily. The assassins' anti-Caliph (and by extension anti-khadi) sentiments added some feeling to Lamis' take on things, and the general assassin story of "go find a husband and bring sons back to the mountain" shaped the backstory and general outlook for a last minute character build pretty handily.
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sat May 08, 2021 7:05 pm

There likely won't be any formal Faction versus Faction events in the smaller games unless they arise organically out of character actions. Faction events will be more about giving flavor and direction not direct competition.

Anything that gets into head to head is more for a proper, full length, campaign game in scope and, while those might eventually happen, aren't on the docket at the moment.
GM • City of Stories

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed May 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Just read all these last messages today. Don't have much to add other than say I tend to like the idea of small in-faction things with faction-related rewards or consequences here and there, especially if it's something small that doesn't make Unaligned folks feel left out. Minor or general faction-related angles on things I think may work fine, but I agree with Lamis and Ali that it's hard to do anything more focused on faction Vs faction conflict in smaller,shorter games.

So, in short... I tend to like what our GM has suggested, all in all.

As I said...not much to add XD
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 pm

Oh and to the number of Unaligned folks - I'm kinda curious as to who thought what about whom now! Haha
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Wed May 12, 2021 9:54 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 pm
Oh and to the number of Unaligned folks - I'm kinda curious as to who thought what about whom now! Haha
I know we had at least one Assassin, I have three suspected Qabalists (Aydi, Faruq, and, least suspected, most known, Bazir), Faruq might actually be Qolat, our Ebonite sigged himself, and more than one of the Dahabi gave me cause for suspicion of shadier affiliations.
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.