GM Questions

Faruq Al-Farhan

Re: GM Questions

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sat May 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Quick question (sending this here rather than Discord now I think about it!)

http://tales.fallenash.com/viewtopic.ph ... p=108#p108

For the Dahabi bargainers - do they get 3 spells per rank like the Qabal summoners, or 2 per rank like the Hazaad sahir?
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sat May 14, 2022 9:56 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:41 pm
Quick question (sending this here rather than Discord now I think about it!)

http://tales.fallenash.com/viewtopic.ph ... p=108#p108

For the Dahabi bargainers - do they get 3 spells per rank like the Qabal summoners, or 2 per rank like the Hazaad sahir?
Updated, they get 3.
GM • City of Stories

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 15, 2022 3:01 am

Another possibly stupid question.

Re: medicine emphases: I'm assuming you NEED the Diseases emphasis to treat diseases, you NEED the Antidotes emphasis to treat poisons, and likewise you NEED the Surgery emphasis to perform surgery (as per the rules I'm the forum)?

So basically without an emphasis what you can do is basically... possibly identifying diseases or poisons and basic wound treatment?

On a similar note - the rules for the Herbalism emphasis aren't described in the book as far as I could found. I'm guessing it allows one to improvise materials for use of the other Emphases when you don't have it at hand? Any specific rules on how that will be handled?

Thanks!
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 15, 2022 3:04 am

Also on Sahir since I couldn't find it anywhere - if a Sahir takes a Path, will that work more or less like for Shugenja (i.e. gain only 1 spell and School Rank counts as 1 higher the first time, but not with any other paths), or will this work differently? Same rules for Ra'Shari Diviners, I'm assuming?

EDIT: Adding to this - the original Ra'Shari Diviner in 3rd edition could learn new Cokaloi by paying their Mastery Level x 6 in XP (which comes in handy given the sheer number of Cokalos there could be!). Is this still allowed?

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sun May 15, 2022 10:43 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:01 am
Another possibly stupid question.

Re: medicine emphases: I'm assuming you NEED the Diseases emphasis to treat diseases, you NEED the Antidotes emphasis to treat poisons, and likewise you NEED the Surgery emphasis to perform surgery (as per the rules I'm the forum)?

So basically without an emphasis what you can do is basically... possibly identifying diseases or poisons and basic wound treatment?
Generally yes. Someone without the Disease or Antidote emphasis can likely treat some of the symptoms of a disease or poison but they won't be able to craft cures or antidotes that remove the condition itself. Without specializing (emphasis) it's more general first aid and lore.
On a similar note - the rules for the Herbalism emphasis aren't described in the book as far as I could found. I'm guessing it allows one to improvise materials for use of the other Emphases when you don't have it at hand? Any specific rules on how that will be handled?
Thanks!
Medicine (Herbalism)
Herbalism allows one to identify, gather, store, and use medicinal plants and mosses effectively. A timeslot may be used to attempt a Medicine (Herbalism) check. The TN varies based on the location and available flora of the area. For the Desert around the city assume a base TN of 25. Deep desert would be higher, a forest or an oasis could be lower. Success, and each successful raise, gives one unit of Medicinal Herbs. These units may either be consumed in place of a usage of a Medicine Kit or to give one free raise per unit (maximum one per roll) to another Medicine check.
GM • City of Stories

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sun May 15, 2022 10:55 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:04 am
Also on Sahir since I couldn't find it anywhere - if a Sahir takes a Path, will that work more or less like for Shugenja (i.e. gain only 1 spell and School Rank counts as 1 higher the first time, but not with any other paths), or will this work differently? Same rules for Ra'Shari Diviners, I'm assuming?
I will say yes for now, unless the path says otherwise (Master of the Seal still giving three spells, for instance).
EDIT: Adding to this - the original Ra'Shari Diviner in 3rd edition could learn new Cokaloi by paying their Mastery Level x 6 in XP (which comes in handy given the sheer number of Cokalos there could be!). Is this still allowed?
I'll allow it.
GM • City of Stories

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm

I assume summoning Jinn also falls under the magic ban? And walking around with a Jinn helper/bodyguard?
Invinda * Kshatriya * Warrior * Prodigy * Khadi's Hound * Betrothed
Influence: 1/3/1 * Reputation: 1.0 * Integrity: Honorable
Languages: Mekhem, Ivindi
Carries on duty: Tulwar, light armor, shield
Carries off duty: elegant clothing, kukri

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sun May 15, 2022 8:59 pm

Arash Karuvah wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm
I assume summoning Jinn also falls under the magic ban? And walking around with a Jinn helper/bodyguard?
Yes. Theoretically one could 'lease' a Jinn from the Hazaad but would be under heavy scrutiny. So if one wanted to try and pretend a Jinn they summoned was one that they purchased the services of expect heavy Forgery and Deceit rolls.
GM • City of Stories

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Sun May 15, 2022 9:00 pm

Would Jinn taking shapes of animals to pass by work in most cases?
Invinda * Kshatriya * Warrior * Prodigy * Khadi's Hound * Betrothed
Influence: 1/3/1 * Reputation: 1.0 * Integrity: Honorable
Languages: Mekhem, Ivindi
Carries on duty: Tulwar, light armor, shield
Carries off duty: elegant clothing, kukri

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sun May 15, 2022 9:08 pm

Arash Karuvah wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:00 pm
Would Jinn taking shapes of animals to pass by work in most cases?
It would be a lesser risk but still a present one if encountering someone with experience with Jinn and/or animals. An alien being in the shape of a dog still behaves more like an alien being than a dog.
GM • City of Stories