A Friend Indeed [D4 LA, Mekham District, expecting]

Lamis Naaji

Re: A Friend Indeed [D4 LA, Mekham District, expecting]

Post by Lamis Naaji » Sat May 08, 2021 4:39 am

Hmm, Yes, Lamis totally brought Janan to the field, having no idea what the contest would be today and all. Makes carrying easier and maneuvering through the streets harder.

"Hey, you've got space to cook. I've got...well let's say that while he'll fit, and I don't think the landlady's going to gossip anyplace it'll reach ears that care, it's going to be hard to creditably claim my modesty was unmolested in that space." She pauses as Ali mutters. "Not that I think he's got the strength right now to even accidentally do any molesting, and certainly no inclination."

She grins up at Faruq, "Meanwhile, there's enough bandages between the two of you that I can't imagine what the rumors might say, but I doubt they'll be salacious. So your floor it is."

Alright. She leads Janan closer, and loops the reins up over her back as if getting ready to ride, then encourages her down. It's how children mount when there's nothing much to climb nearby. Even so, this is going to be awkward. "Pretty sure I can get him up, but I'm going to need help getting him over without injuring him worse."

Leaning lightly against the horse's sturdy shoulder for balance, she bends again to heft the unconscious man upright along her good shoulder. "Sorry rafiq Ali, this is not going to be dignified," she mutters as they wrestle his dead weight across Janan's back.
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon May 10, 2021 4:26 am

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 4:39 am
Hmm, Yes, Lamis totally brought Janan to the field, having no idea what the contest would be today and all. Makes carrying easier and maneuvering through the streets harder.

"Hey, you've got space to cook. I've got...well let's say that while he'll fit, and I don't think the landlady's going to gossip anyplace it'll reach ears that care, it's going to be hard to creditably claim my modesty was unmolested in that space." She pauses as Ali mutters. "Not that I think he's got the strength right now to even accidentally do any molesting, and certainly no inclination."

She grins up at Faruq, "Meanwhile, there's enough bandages between the two of you that I can't imagine what the rumors might say, but I doubt they'll be salacious. So your floor it is."

Alright. She leads Janan closer, and loops the reins up over her back as if getting ready to ride, then encourages her down. It's how children mount when there's nothing much to climb nearby. Even so, this is going to be awkward. "Pretty sure I can get him up, but I'm going to need help getting him over without injuring him worse."

Leaning lightly against the horse's sturdy shoulder for balance, she bends again to heft the unconscious man upright along her good shoulder. "Sorry rafiq Ali, this is not going to be dignified," she mutters as they wrestle his dead weight across Janan's back.
Faruq looks at Lamis with a blank expression when she comments about possible rumours if Ali spent the night in her place. Not that he doubted her call on that - he did, and in fact after some time without much of a reaction he nodded at her in agreement. But... he had never even considered that - especially given Ali's situation. For one reason or another, those rumours were not the sort of thing he seemed to care much about, or for... but she was definitely right that they could do some damage, at least.

With the destination decided, he steps forward to try and help get the badly wounded map up on Janan.

"Eh... I've had some experience handling folks in a bad state", he says. Something to be expected from someone who'd worked as a healer for long enough... maybe just not in such a bad state as this, but still. "But I can't say I've much experience lugging them atop a horse, so I'll follow your lead in this, Sayyeda", he adds as he bends as well to help support Ali's weight. "On the good side... I don't think rafiq Ali will care much about being dignified right now", he says with a slight smirk.

The way there after Ali had been placed on the horse should be relatively easy, at least - crossing part of the Thoroughfare would be hard, but after going past the Temple they could keep to relatively large streets that would be less crowded for most of the way. The last part would be a bit trickier, as the streets became narrower and narrower when approaching the Maze...
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Mon May 10, 2021 7:46 am

"If he does...well, not much he can do about it, hmm?" She takes a moment after they've gotten him settled. Bits of rope and leather than normally keep gear attached offer makeshift ways to keep the unconscious man from slipping. And the'll still have to adjust often on the way.

She uses the fact that she's already pretty much patting him down to shift anything he's carrying so he's not lying on hard coins of the hilt of a knife. The coin, in fact, she tosses to Faruq. "Keep it safe with your own, eh? Too easy for some kid to cut it free from the guy who can't feel it otherwise."

It's slow going, and careful. Lamis offers no judgement on the state of homes here, close to the Maze. "I take it you haven't stored patients overnight much before?" she offers as traveling conversation.
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon May 10, 2021 8:16 pm

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 7:46 am
"If he does...well, not much he can do about it, hmm?" She takes a moment after they've gotten him settled. Bits of rope and leather than normally keep gear attached offer makeshift ways to keep the unconscious man from slipping. And the'll still have to adjust often on the way.

She uses the fact that she's already pretty much patting him down to shift anything he's carrying so he's not lying on hard coins of the hilt of a knife. The coin, in fact, she tosses to Faruq. "Keep it safe with your own, eh? Too easy for some kid to cut it free from the guy who can't feel it otherwise."

It's slow going, and careful. Lamis offers no judgement on the state of homes here, close to the Maze. "I take it you haven't stored patients overnight much before?" she offers as traveling conversation.
Faruq takes the coin with a nod. His mouth twists in a bit of a grin for a moment when hanging Ali's purse on his belt besides his own, but it's soon gone, and he does keep his attention on it to keep it safe the whole way.

At Lamis' question as they get closer to his home, he answers by shaking his head slowly. "No... it's really not usual. It's not that usual to have those who are so badly wounded come to me for help, really... The worst cases I see are usually from diseases... but then it's often the case that it's best to keep them as comfortable as possible at home with someone to help them... or to convince them to stay home to prevent spread, as I said. And then while I have at times come visit to provide what help I could, it wouldn't do to keep them sleeping next to me. For bad wounds... it's often the case that someone in such a bad state wouldn't have the luck to make it to a healer."

He looks at her with a somewhat serious look. "There's actually much violence beneath the surface here, as I believe you can imagine. But it often doesn't leave survivors..."
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 am

She listens, keeping a hand on Ali's arm as they go to feel any shifts that need to be addressed. "After today, I'm not sure I'd say it's much beneath the surface." Her eyes remain vigilant as they walk, glancing at doorways and alleys and most passers-by. "Too many people crunched in together here. It's a recipe for violence."

"Don't get me wrong, there's violence on the Sands too. But...I don't know...it just feels less like it's lurking there waiting for your guard to drop. Maybe that's just me feeling out of sorts inside walls with so many other people." She watches Faruq for cues as to direction and where to stop.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed May 12, 2021 5:42 am

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 am
She listens, keeping a hand on Ali's arm as they go to feel any shifts that need to be addressed. "After today, I'm not sure I'd say it's much beneath the surface." Her eyes remain vigilant as they walk, glancing at doorways and alleys and most passers-by. "Too many people crunched in together here. It's a recipe for violence."

"Don't get me wrong, there's violence on the Sands too. But...I don't know...it just feels less like it's lurking there waiting for your guard to drop. Maybe that's just me feeling out of sorts inside walls with so many other people." She watches Faruq for cues as to direction and where to stop.
He nods in agreement with her words as she speaks while leading the way. After some time, he adds something to her points. "Too many crunched together, indeed... And too many differences - some with their own personal oasis, so to speak, some with barely a drop to drink. You've been to the Maze with us", he said, pointing to Ali with his head. "In some places, people have even less means..."

He shrugs, then points to a corner where they should turn. "Although I suppose the fact you often cannot see where the violence comes from is a great difference as well." A silent laugh "I guess we learn to...'feel' more and look less. Or something like that. Just too much to take in just by looking, eh?"

He now points to a turn to the right. "Another left, then two blocks ahead after we cross the wall with the peeling mural of the Prophet's voyage." His face is serious, but softens a bit for a moment. "The art used in the letters for the sayings and poems there is worth a look, even though you can only barely imagine what it looked like when it was new. I used to play with ukhti and others there when we were kids", he says, soon shaking his head. "Ah... Asif, Rafiqa, nevermind that. We're almost there."

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Thu May 13, 2021 6:14 am

"I imagine it didn't look so bad, growing up. Kids don't see the same things. But for me? Yes, it's too much to see and take in all at once. No sightlines, no real quiet." She frowns. "And more water than I've seen in my life," she says with a vague wave toward the river. "And instead of everyone having a share of it, it's sold so people might live right next to it and still die of thirst?"

She'll pause when they reach the door. Reversing the load ing process is easier, gravity offereing an assist. She doesn't linger either. Helping to see Ali settled, but unwilling ot leave Janan alone outside in this neighborhood.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Thu May 13, 2021 10:04 pm

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 6:14 am
"I imagine it didn't look so bad, growing up. Kids don't see the same things. But for me? Yes, it's too much to see and take in all at once. No sightlines, no real quiet." She frowns. "And more water than I've seen in my life," she says with a vague wave toward the river. "And instead of everyone having a share of it, it's sold so people might live right next to it and still die of thirst?"

She'll pause when they reach the door. Reversing the load ing process is easier, gravity offereing an assist. She doesn't linger either. Helping to see Ali settled, but unwilling ot leave Janan alone outside in this neighborhood.
He gives her a mirthless grin. "Well... I think it's more that we get used to it. I don't think poverty, suffering and disease ever stop really looking bad, eh? Just... we take it for granted, I guess. Take for granted that some have a greater share of the river's bounty than others - than we do, even. It's a funny thing to think of, in fact, isn't it?"

He shrugs as they reach the door. "I guess it could be taken as a blessing that not all keep seeing all that as normal as adults. And... well, again, maybe learning some from the nomads would do the city people some good", he adds with a smile. As he opens the front door, he leans his head pointing to a small passage on the side. "You can get to the yard going through there - I'll go in and open the gate. Should be more comfortable for Janan and Ali", he says with a slight chuckle.