A Friend Indeed [D4 LA, Mekham District, expecting]

Faruq Al-Farhan

A Friend Indeed [D4 LA, Mekham District, expecting]

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 am

The last event of the Archery competition was over, winners were now known, many were hurt - but one competitor, particularly, had been hurt so bad his surviving had been almost a miracle.

As the crowd dissipated, Faruq made his way again to the kindred soul he had met this week, who was still lying on the ground - barely moving, possibly unconscious... but at least apparently out of danger now.

He felt bad for having been able to do so little for the guard... and seeing most others leave, he knew the man had to at least be taken back to somewhere safe so he could rest and recover.

Kneeling down next to Ali, he tried to touch his arm to call his attention, see if he was awake, at least. "Oi, rafiq. Can you talk?"

He looked around. He might be able to take him home on his shoulders... but it wouldn't be easy - especially as he was still limping himself after the Khadi's shots.

Maybe someone else could help them?
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Lamis Naaji

Re: A Friend Indeed [D4 LA, Mekham District, expecting]

Post by Lamis Naaji » Fri May 07, 2021 4:50 am

Lamis had followed, curious to see what shape her fellow competitor was in. She shakes her head, then looks around. "Isn't he a guard? I guess I expected his fellows would have been here to see to him by now if they were watching."

But no, this city and its khadi would be perfectly fine leaving him there to dry out on the sand...until someone came by to steal whatever he had on him.
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri May 07, 2021 4:59 am

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 4:50 am
Lamis had followed, curious to see what shape her fellow competitor was in. She shakes her head, then looks around. "Isn't he a guard? I guess I expected his fellows would have been here to see to him by now if they were watching."

But no, this city and its khadi would be perfectly fine leaving him there to dry out on the sand...until someone came by to steal whatever he had on him.
Faruq lets out a dry laugh. "Hah! He is a guard. A good one too, from what I've seen and heard these days. Not the most common kind, I'm afraid"

He looks around again. "Sayyid Arash, another of the competitors and a friend of mine, is a guard also... but he wasn't in very good shape either. I suppose he dragged himself back on his own. Hope, even."

He looks at the man again. "Rafiq Ali here... he took it harder than most of us. Maybe all. But Shilah be praised, he should make it alright... after some rough days." Then, looking up at her. "Rafiqa, I don't suppose you could help me lug him back to... " he looks at Ali apparently still unconscious. "Eh. To the city, at least. I'll have to see if he gets awake enough to at least give us directions at some point..."
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Fri May 07, 2021 5:21 am

She starts to lower into an unthinking crouch beside the man, halting as her hip reminds her that her motion is a bit more limited right now. Bending instead, she runs her hands along the bandages and perforated clothing. At least he was wrapped up well enough that he wasn't likely to ooze even more blood on her. He'd mentioned living at the edge of the better district, and carpentering the place together. Hmm...

Lamis nods. "You know where he lives? It didn't sound like one of the districts where I'd expect to get jumped looking so out of town and burdened. Otherwise, honestly, he can share the floor of the room I've taken. Pretty sure he's good for the extra coin the lady of the house will want. And looking like this? I'm not sure even she'd gossip that he'd somehow made inroads on my virtue."
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri May 07, 2021 5:33 am

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:21 am
She starts to lower into an unthinking crouch beside the man, halting as her hip reminds her that her motion is a bit more limited right now. Bending instead, she runs her hands along the bandages and perforated clothing. At least he was wrapped up well enough that he wasn't likely to ooze even more blood on her. He'd mentioned living at the edge of the better district, and carpentering the place together. Hmm...

Lamis nods. "You know where he lives? It didn't sound like one of the districts where I'd expect to get jumped looking so out of town and burdened. Otherwise, honestly, he can share the floor of the room I've taken. Pretty sure he's good for the extra coin the lady of the house will want. And looking like this? I'm not sure even she'd gossip that he'd somehow made inroads on my virtue."
"Well... when we were talking some days ago, he said he lived in the Mekham district, close to the border of the Maze. Which - as I remarked back then - is a fairly good description of where I live. He did mention he could see the Maze from his window, so I'd guess a two-story hovel. Maybe someone in the are could point us to the specific house. It's... not the best neighbourhood, but I don't think we'd be assaulted. It's close to home, as I said... and we will be carrying a wounded guard, after all, eh?"

He then lets out a silent chuckle at her comment about the landlady. "Although of course, staying at your room works as well! Where in the city were you staying again?"

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am

"Also in the quarter, but not so much on the border as it seems you two do. Rented a room from a widow with a house full of grandkids. It's not quiet, but it's clean."

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Fri May 07, 2021 12:20 pm

Ali had very little to add to the conversation. His breathing was shallow but steady. When touched or moved, he would groan a little bit, but otherwise he was quiet and still.

Well, mostly anyway. "Protect... don't tell... her..." Ali muttered. Eyelids fluttered and twitched, but then he subsided. Meaning to his mutterings and directions to his home would both have to come from elsewhere, although he'd described well enough that Fariq could probably get in the right area, at least.
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Fri May 07, 2021 5:27 pm

"Her?" Lamis shakes her head. Well, she certainly wasn't planning to run messages around town informing anyone that the man was injured enough that he wasn't going to be doing anything for a bit. Presumably this was public enough that the Guard knew to cover his shift. If not...well, that was between him and them when he was conscious again.

"Or, what's your place like? Closer to his, yes? At least the sounds he'll hear while half conscious will be kind of familiar?"

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 pm

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 5:27 pm
"Her?" Lamis shakes her head. Well, she certainly wasn't planning to run messages around town informing anyone that the man was injured enough that he wasn't going to be doing anything for a bit. Presumably this was public enough that the Guard knew to cover his shift. If not...well, that was between him and them when he was conscious again.

"Or, what's your place like? Closer to his, yes? At least the sounds he'll hear while half conscious will be kind of familiar?"
Faruq seems equally confused by whoever Ali was mentioning. They had talked a fair deal since their first meeting some days ago, enough for Faruq to actually think of the man as a friend - which he hadn't many - but he didn't remember any particular mention of a specific woman in his life. A wife?

He did remember he'd said Ali's father was a carpenter... so maybe his mother?

One way or another, if it could be someone in his home, maybe not taking him there was a good option.

But then...

He looked at Lamis after her question, his face blank.

"Eh... it's a small hovel. One room, a small place for cooking and working on the side."

He seemed thoughtful for a while. What did he leave there? Not much of importance, he thought.

Hoped, maybe.

"But... It should be closer to his place, yeah. He'd have an easier time walking back home when he gets back up. Or me dragging him."

He still seemed a bit unsure... but looking back at the man brought some worry to his face, and he nodded.

"Think it'd be a better idea, then? Should be a bit farther to carry him now, but with... ", he looks at the horse - "Janan?", he says, a bit unsure - "we can probably make it alright."

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Sat May 08, 2021 2:14 am

Still speaking without consciousness, Ali shook his head. "Not good enough. Never enough. I'm sorry..."

Perhaps apologizing brought him some measure of peace, because Ali subsided again at that.
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife