Closing Celebration (EE, Outside the Gates of the Houses of Dahab, Observation)

Al-Haddar

Re: Closing Celebration (EE, Outside the Gates of the Houses of Dahab, Observation)

Post by Al-Haddar » Sat May 08, 2021 2:41 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 pm

Having been going around and talking to people, Sora spotted someone she didn't recognize, "Oh, good evening Si. Are you enjoying the festivities?"

The man seemed to be enjoying the food at least... though he would notice the woman greeting him had nothing but a goblet of wine with her.
Al-Haddar bowed and engulfed the cake he was holding in the same swift movement, as neither impoliteness nor wasting food would do.

"Good evening Lady al-Menjari.

The name's Al-Haddar, simple citizen lucky enough to have been able to catch some glimpses of mistress Rashid's contest alongside going through the motions of his daily job.

But first and foremost, congratulations to your archer for her impressive victory! If I may ask, where did you manage to find a warrior of such skill? I can't imagine it being easy to convince the Moto to lend you one of their best."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Soraya al-Menjari

Re: Closing Celebration (EE, Outside the Gates of the Houses of Dahab, Observation)

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Sat May 08, 2021 3:16 pm

A bright smile in return to the question, "Oh, daddy picked out various candidates then let me chose from them. I picked Miss Yarut because she told me that her arrows know their way to the target, which I thought was awfully impressive. Imagine hitting what you are firing at without even aiming! I also liked her horse; I've not seen its like in our stables."
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected
Typically Carries: Exquisite clothing, jewelry, coin purse

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 3:16 pm
A bright smile in return to the question, "Oh, daddy picked out various candidates then let me chose from them. I picked Miss Yarut because she told me that her arrows know their way to the target, which I thought was awfully impressive. Imagine hitting what you are firing at without even aiming! I also liked her horse; I've not seen its like in our stables."
Al-Haddar hid his surprise by engulfing another appetizer, time for him to compose a neutral answer to that statement:

"A winning move's a winning move, regardless of the path that led to it. Any idea what you will ask mistress Rashid for? It's hard for a simple man like me to imagine something the scion from such a prestigious house would want and would not already have.

Also, I'm not seeing miss Yarut by your side, and I kind of remember her taking a few bad his earlier today. Should I guess she's recovering at your home after having been treated by your best healers?"
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Sat May 08, 2021 7:12 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm
Al-Haddar hid his surprise by engulfing another appetizer, time for him to compose a neutral answer to that statement:

"A winning move's a winning move, regardless of the path that led to it. Any idea what you will ask mistress Rashid for? It's hard for a simple man like me to imagine something the scion from such a prestigious house would want and would not already have.

Also, I'm not seeing miss Yarut by your side, and I kind of remember her taking a few bad his earlier today. Should I guess she's recovering at your home after having been treated by your best healers?"
"She is indeed. She deserves the best care possible, my father promised to see to that. As to your other question... I couldn't right say at the moment. It was somewhat news to me today that was even a thing, so I will have to think about it."

The princess seemed to be staring hard at the man, speaking up slowly after a moment, "...did you say your name was 'al-Haddar, by the way? You wouldn't happen to be a pistachio merchant, would you?"

Her expression was a bit mixed, as if the young woman was looking for some sign or such from her conversation partner.
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sat May 08, 2021 9:04 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 7:12 pm
"She is indeed. She deserves the best care possible, my father promised to see to that. As to your other question... I couldn't right say at the moment. It was somewhat news to me today that was even a thing, so I will have to think about it."

The princess seemed to be staring hard at the man, speaking up slowly after a moment, "...did you say your name was 'al-Haddar, by the way? You wouldn't happen to be a pistachio merchant, would you?"

Her expression was a bit mixed, as if the young woman was looking for some sign or such from her conversation partner.
"Well, I sell a lot of things and among them, sometimes, pistachios. But in which circumstances such a noble lady as yourself could have heard about my humble name and activity?"

Maybe if you start selling dates instead of pistachios that Zuk thing will lost track of you?

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:04 pm
"Well, I sell a lot of things and among them, sometimes, pistachios. But in which circumstances such a noble lady as yourself could have heard about my humble name and activity?"

Maybe if you start selling dates instead of pistachios that Zuk thing will lost track of you?
"Ah, well, you see... I heard an interesting tale yesterday that you had some of the finest pistachios in Menidaat al Salaam, and that you laid an ambush for the storyteller and convinced them to buy many. I was surprised to hear of merchants setting ambushes, but it seems it had succeeded in a sales tactic for the woman. Very curious indeed."
Influence:

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 am

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 pm
"Ah, well, you see... I heard an interesting tale yesterday that you had some of the finest pistachios in Menidaat al Salaam, and that you laid an ambush for the storyteller and convinced them to buy many. I was surprised to hear of merchants setting ambushes, but it seems it had succeeded in a sales tactic for the woman. Very curious indeed."
"Storyteller? I can think of quite a few people that would match this description, as Medinaat al-Salaam is the city of stories and everyone seems to change into a storyteller after some time there.

So I'm not sure which person you're talking about... But from context, maybe the Ra'Shari dancer? The one with a predilection for boys with odd hair color?

And I wouldn't call it an ambush per se. Some merchants do love their hunting ground metaphor, with themselves are the hunters, customers as preys, their products bait, their entry an ambush, their words arrows, and copper as fresh meat... But as you can hear the metaphor quickly loses any coherence if you try to push it too far. Or any far really.

I think it's more of a byproduct of some merchants trying to look cooler than they are by picturing themselves above their station, as most merchants, me included, never take part in any real hunt of any kind. The adult version of children pretending to be knights if you will."

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Sun May 09, 2021 6:09 am

"So, so.... you're NOT an adventurous merchant who ambushes people with delicious pistachios, only to vanish as quickly as you came?"

The Dahabi princess actually pouted a little.
Influence:

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sun May 09, 2021 3:14 pm

Soraya al-Menjari wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 6:09 am
"So, so.... you're NOT an adventurous merchant who ambushes people with delicious pistachios, only to vanish as quickly as you came?"

The Dahabi princess actually pouted a little.
"Entering the scene by jumping off a building, followed by a rain of petals, and leaving it shrouded in the fog of a smoke bomb? That's the kind of spectacle the Ra'Shari might be able to organize if you commission them to... But it might be a bit too much of a setup for a sale that will earn me twenty pools in a good day.

I did jump off a building once for real though, as part of a misunderstanding which degenerated into a chase. Definitely not something I would do again. I was lucky to land just right, but way too much of a close call for my taste."

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Sun May 09, 2021 5:06 pm

"Oh. Well... I suppose that is adventurous enough. I know how it feels to accidentally fall a long way too, when you did not mean to."

The pout disappeared and the woman gave a little curtsy, "Thank you for clearing that all up for me, and I still think I like you Mister Haddar. I do hope you enjoy the rest of the festivities and our family's hospitality."
Influence: