Under Her Eye (EA, The Desert, Event)

Jewel

Under Her Eye (EA, The Desert, Event)

Post by Jewel » Mon May 03, 2021 2:32 pm

With a slight delay due to rain the competition resumes when Shilah's eye gazes down upon them from her midday perch. As the sand begins to heat up and the people gather the final field is revealed. This time it is a simple mid-size stretch that has been marked off, similar to the first day, though this time there is no seating on either end of the field only to either side.

The reason soon becomes apparent as Majdala al-Rashid herself strides towards the far end of the marked area. While her outfit is no less expensive in appearance than usual it is clearly cut for mobility and movement as opposed to simply for a display of her beauty and wealth. In her hands is a composite long-bow inlaid with ebony and a quiver of arrows is at her back.

Although her voice sounds soft as it reaches people's ears it does reach everyone regardless of where they are sitting or the local chatter and noise.

"People of Medinaat al-Salaam and visitors from afar. We have seen great displays of skill and talent so far and I applaud all those who have attempted their best for our entertainment. But, so far, that is all it has been: Tests. The true measure of an archer's skill is in one thing only, defeating the enemy, and thus we shall give them their truest challenge yet! Let us pray they do not disappoint with cowardice."
GM • City of Stories

Jewel

Re: Under Her Eye (EA, The Desert, Event)

Post by Jewel » Wed May 05, 2021 8:47 am

Although this event will have options to earn additional points the overall winner of this event will be decided solely by the amount of damage inflicted upon Majdala, not the point total.

These rolls are considered combat with the characters in Attack stance.

Magic is highly not recommended as you are directly engaged with a Khadi. Subtlety rolls will be opposed.

Archers are provided a bow if they do not have one. Archers are provided Willow Leaf arrows (2k2 DR)

Everyone is unarmored.

NPC archers have Strength 2 and Earth 2.

Mercy Shot
The archer is allowed to make one shot unopposed. Majdala's TNtbH is 25.

Continue?
The archer may now bow out of the round if they wish. If they choose to continue it is Majdala's turn to fire. They may choose if she uses Willow Leaf or Flesh Cutter arrows (see scoring below)

Majdala's Shot
Though she is passionate about archery she, thankfully for the archers, is still just a dabbler and a diplomat as opposed to a warrior. Majdala rolls 7k4 with an Emphasis (7d10ro1o10k4 in Orokos). She is not calling any raises and does not have any technique that applies nor is she casting any spells. She will be rolling damage as 5k2 for Willow Leaf or 5k3 for Flesh Cutter. She does not suffer from wound penalties.

Repeat
For each arrow fired by the archer in future rounds Majdala will retaliate. There is only the option to bow out after her attack is made.

NPC archers aren't willing to die for your coin. They choose Willow Leaf arrows for Majdala. If after her first shot they have taken more than ten wounds (after any Void) they do not proceed. They are only willing to take damage twice regardless of total wounds taken. Attacks that missed them or were Voided to 0 do not count as taking damage.

Scoring
The archer who deals the most total damage to Majdala gets 5 points and is the winner
The archer who deals the most damage to Majdala in a single shot gets 3 points.
Each shot that hits Majdala is worth 1 point plus one point per Called Shot raise.
Each shot taken by Majdala against the archer is worth 1 point if using Willow Leaf, 2 points if using Flesh Cutter
Anyone reduced to Down or Out loses 5 points. If they dealt damage to Majdala they gain +.1 Glorious Reputation. If they did not deal damage to Majdala they gain 1 rank of Infamous Reputation.
Anyone who dies no longer really cares about their score....

1st place wins: 10 copper and 1 Glorious Reputation
2nd place wins: 5 copper and +.5 Glorious Reputation
3rd place wins: 3 copper and +.3 Glorious Reputation

All PCs who allow Majdala to fire gain 1XP
GM • City of Stories

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Wed May 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Arash stood up, proud and straight. He raised a bow, took aim, and thwap, the arrow hit.

"Do your best, sayyeda."

Oh, she did. Arash stepped back, the strength of the arrow surprising him. He glanced down. "Why is my blood outside of my body?"

OOC:
D4 EA PEW PEW THE LICH, Prodigy, School tech 1, tn 25: 7d10o10k3 26

D4 EA OUCHIE THE LICH, Willow Leaf, Str 2: 4d10o10k2 14

Majdala hits:
D4 EA LICH PEW PEW, tn 20: 7d10ro1o10k4 34

D4 EA LICH OUCHIE, Flesh Cutter: 5d10o10k3 48

VP for 10 damage reduction, 38 wounds, Out
Invinda * Kshatriya * Warrior * Prodigy * Khadi's Hound * Betrothed
Influence: 1/3/1 * Reputation: 1.0 * Integrity: Honorable
Languages: Mekhem, Ivindi
Carries on duty: Tulwar, light armor, shield
Carries off duty: elegant clothing, kukri

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Wed May 05, 2021 5:24 pm

It was an ugly business. Ali loosed arrow after arrow, hoping to land one in the creature. The Khadi loosed arrow after arrow back. One after another thunked into him, until he could stand no more.

Grimacing, he fell to his knees, eyes blazing. And then, the light in them dimmed, and he fell in the dirt.

Dimmed, but there was still a spark...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note; misread the rules, thought she didn't start shooting until we tried to shoot her twice. Shot 3 would have had wound penalties, but it missed anyway

Shoot the Khadi! Shot 1, EbonR1 +1k0, TN25: 6d10o10k3 21
Khadi Shoot me! Shot 1, willow, TN20: 7d10ro1o10k4 41
Khadi Shoot me! damage: 5d10o10k2 13 VP to 3
Shoot the Khadi! Shot 2, EbonR1 +1k0, TN25: 6d10o10k3 17
Khadi Shoot me! Shot 2, willow, TN20: 7d10ro1o10k4 40
Khadi Shoot me! damage 2: 5d10o10k2 36 - VP to 26
Shoot the Khadi! Shot 3, EbonR1 +1k0, TN25: 6d10o10k3 20
Khadi Shoot me! Shot 3: 7d10ro1o10k4 36
Khadi Shoot me! Damage 3: 5d10o10k2 15
Great Destiny activates - Ali is Down
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Wed May 05, 2021 5:37 pm

Being the proud nomadic warrior she is, Yarut of the Moto makes a decent enough showing; She manages two shots into the Khadi before bowing out, bleeding quite heavily but still on her feet, giving a shaky bow to her sponsor in Soraya before going to get bandaged up.

==============

Day 4, Under Her Eye, NPC Archer Mercy Shot, TN25: 6d10o10k3 31 (Mercy Shot hits)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, NPC Archer Mercy Shot, Damage (S2, willow leaf): 4d10o10k2 28 (Mercy Shot deals 28 damage with Willow Arrow.)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, attack against NPC archer by Khadi, TN20: 7d10ro1o10k4 37 (Khadi easily hits Yarut with a 37)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, Khadi damage to NPC archer, willow leaf: 5d10o10k2 16 (Khadi's first attack deals 16 damage, Void Point 1 of 2 spent to lower damage to 6)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, NPC Archer shot 2, TN25, VP 2/2 for 1k1: 7d10o10k4 42 (Yarut attacks again and hits with a 42)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, NPC Archer shot 2, damage, willow leaf: 4d10o10k2 12 (Second shot only deals 12 damage, for a total of 40 damage overall by Yarut)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, attack 2 against NPC archer by Khadi, TN20: 7d10ro1o10k4 27 (Khadi hits Yarut again)

Day 4, Under Her Eye, Khadi damage to NPC archer 2, willow leaf: 5d10o10k2 19 (19 damage on second shot, up to a total of 25 damage on Yarut before she bows out)

Number of Shot Hitting Majdala = 2
Total Called Shot Raises = 0
Total Damage on Majdala = 40
Number of Shots Taken From Majdala = 2
Wounds taken on NPC = 25 (crippled)
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected
Typically Carries: Exquisite clothing, jewelry, coin purse

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Wed May 05, 2021 6:45 pm

This is completely insane.

I mean, yeah, I get to shoot an arrow at a khadi, and who hasn't wanted to do that, but... this is typical Khadi bullshit right here.

So Kezia picked up her borrowed bow and drew back on the Khadi.

And missed, Hilariously, totally, completely missed. It was the worst shot she'd ever taken in her life.

Eh. I'll give her a chance to shoot back. I bet she misses.

As happened more often than Kezia would ever admit, she was, well, wrong about that.

Huh, little line across my cheek- coulda been in my eye if I hadn't moved when I did.

And then she had a realization- not about death, she was barely hurt at all, but...

I like my eyes, dammit!

See how you like it!

I suppose it's too much to hope that that hurt very much.

Oh, this is gonna suck...

Eh. I've had worse.

[Voiding that 16 down to 6, voiding the 18 down to 8, and bowing out.

EDIT: Retcon Round: 13 wounds on the Khadi

1 point for hitting her once, 2 points for getting shot twice,
Don't think there's any rep reward the way things are written, but if tagging her counts, I'll take the 0.1 glory.
Taking that shiny shiny 1 XP]
Last edited by Kezia on Fri May 07, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed May 05, 2021 7:24 pm

Faruq had watched the competitors step forward and shoot Majdala, one after the other. Some hit her, some scored what would usually be good, dangerous, nasty hits, even.

Only to see the Khadi shrug it off, smiling or laughing, not even a shade of pain in her eyes.

When her own arrows hit the contestants, on the other hand, the screams, the pain, the blood, it was all very real, and very visible.

A blatant display of power - that's what it was, as he had noted since she first presented today's challenge. A display of the outrageously unequal power that made the situation in Medinaat Al-Salaam what it was.

He carefully controlled the anger that burnt slowly like embers in his eyes as he stepped forward time after time to tend to the wounded archers. As he had asked at the start of the competition, he was the last one to step forward.

It was fitting, perhaps - although many probably thought it anticlimactic. The last one in the scoreboard. The one clearly least prepared for this competition - one who, as he had said himself, was here to learn... which carried the now obvious message that he barely knew anything about archery.

He took up the bow handed to the competitors for the last time, looking at the many wounded standing or lying around once more before raising his head and towards the Khadi, meeting her own gaze squarely.

Finally, he raised the bow to his eyes.

He let out a chuckle. He knew he was very unlikely to even hit her. And it was plainly clear that even if he did, it would mean little - just another display of her inhuman power.

He raised the bow further and took his first shot - the shot "at the mercy" of the Khadi - with the pointing up at Shilah's face, almost at a 45º angle. The arrow travelled in a high arc and fell squarely on the sand, point down.

He then spoke, as loud as he could, with a calm but strong voice.

"Another one that fails to hurt you, Sayyeda Al-Rashid. Another one you'll shoot at until they bleed. I hope you have been enjoying this chance to entertain yourself", he says, his expression as neutral as possible - although those who know what to look for may find those sparks of anger burning deep on the man's eyes.

She shoots him back, and a dangerous Flesh Cutter arrow flies true, hitting his shoulder - but he is unfazed. He takes the arrow from his flesh, runs his hand through the wound, spits into his hand and does it again. The wound seems so superficial, that, for just that moment, it might almost look to the spectators as if he were as immune to her shots as she were to those of the others.

His lips crease into a dry, stony smile.

"Had too much fun already, Sayyeda? One could get the impression you're becoming soft... What would one say about a Khadi being soft on one's opponents, I imagine?"

He shoots again, once more in a wide arc. Another arrow hits the ground and is buried in the sand.

Her next arrow is an almost perfect, well-aimed shot. This time, it hits Faruq squarely on his chest, cutting some of the cloth on his robes - and there is an actual flow of blood, unlike the first time. Still, once more he takes the arrow out, spits in his hand and runs it through the wound, and throws the arrow on the ground with a resolute expression.

"Sayyeda... it's almost as if you were just playing around with your enemies before taking things to their inevitable end", he says again in a deep, loud voice - the word inevitable, in particular, maybe hiding a slight hint of some doublespeak.

Third shot. Third arrow buried in the sand, a little bit farther than the other two.

The Khadi takes another shot... and it almost looks as if she was distracted by something. A more agile contestant might have been able to move out of the way of her third arrow... but Faruq did not. Despite the less confident shot, the arrow buries itself in his thigh, deeper this time. He looks at the wound, his eyes burning again...

... but this time, he just nods to her.

"Shukran, Sayyeda. You have shown me - and us, no doubt - much about the ways of archery in this festival. And you have made your point", he says, formally and seriously, again in a somewhat stony manner.

He then starts stepping back, limping but proudly walking the way back to the crowd on his own feet.

OOC:
D4 EA Under her Eye - Mercy Whot - Why even roll?: 2d10k2 6 ...

D4 EA Under her Eye - Khadi shoots the Healer, TN 15: 7d10ro1o10k4 30 - Solid hit

D4 EA Under her Eye - Khadi hurts a headstrong Healer, Flesh cutter for 2 points: 5d10o10k3 10 - Voided to 0 Wounds.

D4 EA Under her Eye - Second Shot - Why even roll?: 2d10k2 10 ...

D4 EA Under her Eye - Khadi shoots the Healer mk2, TN 15: 7d10ro1o10k4 53 - Khadi lady seems pissed off o-o

D4 EA Under her Eye - Khadi hurts a headstrong Healer again, Flesh cutter for 2 points (total 4): 5d10o10k3 21 - Voided to 11 Wounds.

D4 EA Under her Eye - Third Shot - Why even roll?: 2d10k2 13 ...

D4 EA Under her Eye - Khadi shoots the Healer mk3, TN 15: 7d10ro1o10k4 18 - Almost seems like she's not having so much fun now XD

D4 EA Under her Eye - Khadi hurts a headstrong Healer, 3rd time, Flesh cutter for 2 points (total 6): 5d10o10k3 25 - Ok, maybe she is. Total 36 Wounds, so Injured (-15).

6 Points for being shot at with Flesh-cutter arrows. No hits on her. 1 XP gained.
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Wed May 05, 2021 9:43 pm

Rufus is getting a bit desperate. Sure, it didn't really matter, but it was lousy to be so constantly at the bottom. No, if he was going to do this, he would face the challenge head on. He would need to place in at least one event or face scorn.

"I will take the flesh cutters against me." He replies, picking up the shortbow and readying himself to fight.

He eyes the range and looses a bolt, an arrow brushing by the woman's face and leaving a trail of blood. Rufus stares defiantly back at her and waits for her res

The woman responds with devestating effectiveness, planting a shot into his upper leg, immobilizing it, making him wince in pain

Not...yet

Rufus' next shot is nowhere near close and the next shaft comes with the same deadly accuracy, this time hitting his forearm, glancing over the leather bracer but numbing the spot.

I can't move it

There would be nowhere to aim, and Rufus highly doubted he would survive the next one. He bows, as gracefully as he can, and limps off to the side.
______

Under Her Eye-Mercy Shot-Reflexes Archery-TN 25: 4d10o10k3 32
Mercy Shot Damage: 2d10o10 6

Majala shot on Rufus #1-TN 20: 7d10ro1o10k4 39 Hit
Majala shot on Rufus #1-Damage-Fleshcutter: 5d10o10k3 31 Voided to 21
Rufus is Injured

Under Her Eye-Round 1-Reflexes Archery-TN 25: 4d10o10k3 15 10 with penalty, not even close

Khadi attack on Rufus #2-TN 20: 7d10ro1o10k4 31
Rufus damage #2, death at hand?: 5d10o10k3 17 Voided down to 7 for 28 Damage
Rufus is crippled

1 point for hitting target
4 points for surviving 2 flesh cutter arrow shots
5 points total
1 XP gained, +0.1 Glorious for doing damage, +0.1 due to Boasting
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1
Carries: Pugio, charcoal and parchment, skin of vinum, camping equipment
For combat: Scutum, two pilum, gladius, chain shirt

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Thu May 06, 2021 6:52 am

For the first time, Lamis spends time looking at the bows on offer to loan. She knows it won't matter how hard the arrow strikes, the khadi will not fall. But...maybe it will hurt? It's a show, a farce...but she gets to look one of them in the face and drive an arrow into their flesh, and a small part of her can't help but thrill to that hunt. Have any of her sisters actually hired to such hunts gotten to do the same? Someday she'll ask.

Two seem reasonable, they string and pull smoothly in her small hands, impulse has her take the one with sharp geometric designs painted in red. Red for blood and speed? Superstitious? Why not?

She smiles a little, stepping to her place, even having seen others fall. This is a show, a rehearsal of sorts...perhaps a reminder of the pain and death that will surely accompany the actual show are appropriate. Where can an arrow do the most damage when none of the creature's organs even matter? In the stories, the evil sorcerers all have egos the size of castles and unending vanity. With a nod, Lamis shifts slightly, lifting and pulling to her ear, the loosed arrow flying inches from Majdala's face.

Well it was a miss...clumsy to have let it fly so high with her borrowed bow.

Was she going to stand here, waiting to be struck, in return for the chance to try again? For a moment, it seems like she'll step away, content, before pulling another arrow, holding it loosely as she awaits the khadi's almost dispassionate return shot.

She isn't at all surprised to find that the Khadi aims better than she does. At least she's fast enough to shift with the arrow, let it graze her hip instead of punching through it. It'll hold for another shot at least.

Learning from her previous shot, Lamis doesn't think about where to aim this time, she just hunts. Draw and pull and release letting her body's memory do the aiming instead of her desire. And oh...that hits true. It's going to take a tug to pull the arrow out of the rib flaring pelvic wing it's stuck in. Grinning, Lamis lowers her bow, she has as much as she needs from this rehearsal. Majdala's will be the last shot here.

Just as well as the next arrow slices hard through her left bicep...she almost drops the bow, hissing as her blood adds to the red decoration. Omen? Or just a reminder of the price that many are going to pay one day to truly banish the demons here?

"Fair enough," she mutters, heading back to return the bow.

Borrowing a better not-horsebow (Composite Longbow)
D4 Event: Composite longbow. Shooting at a khadi VP for +1k1. 1CR for damage, TN 30: 7d10o10k4 26 Miss
D4 Event: Khadi taking potshots at Lamis: TN 20: 7d10o10k4 27 hits (forgot the emphasis, but a hit is a hit)
Khadi's damage: Willow Leaf: 5d10o10k2 17 Void to 7
D4 Event: Composite longbow. Shooting at a khadi: #2 TN 25: 6d10o10k3 47 Oh...now you find the 10's?
Lamis' damage: Willow Leaf: 5d10o10k2 29
D4 Event: Khadi taking potshots at Lamis: #2 TN 20: 7d10ro1o10k4 30
Khadi's damage: #2 Willow Leaf: 5d10o10k2 16 void to 6 (total 13, TNs at +3)

Hit once: 1 point
Took two shots from Majdala with willow leafs: 2 points

3 points.
+1 xp for letting Majdala shoot.

Total damage to Majdala: 29 (also her highest from a single shot, since that is the only one that hit)
Last edited by Lamis Naaji on Thu May 06, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Asher

Post by Asher » Thu May 06, 2021 1:13 pm

(Edited because of wrong dice pools, 5K2 damage not 5K3)

Damascus steps out preparing their stance hey seem hesitant about the idea of shooting the Khadi, but they line up their shot, take aim, and let loose.

Under Her Eye - Damascus - Archery TN 25, void: 7d10o10k4 42
Under Her Eye - Damascus - damage: 4d10o10k2 19

As the shot strike home their eyes flicker to their patron in the stands and then they brace themselves and motion at the Khadi with their hand.

Under Her Eye - Majdala attack Tn 20: 7d10ro1o10k4 37
Under Her Eye - Majdala damage: 5d10o10k3 22 (Void Damage) (-6, 16 damage 6 after void)

Taking the arrow in the shoulder they wince, bowing toward the Khadi they turn to give up the field but the woman at the other end shakes her head and raises her bow again. Understanding Damascus eyes plead toward the stands but after a moment she takes in a breath and lines up for another shot. With a little wince in her shoulder where the arrow hit the shot comes in slower then it should, easily dodged by the Khadi.

Under Her Eye - Damascus Shot 2 TN 25: 6d10o10k3 16

With a little wince in her shoulder where the arrow hit the shot comes in slower then it should, easily dodged by the Khadi. Damascus swallows and braces yet again, turning into her shooting stance, one hip toward the woman, to make as small a target as possible.

Under Her Eye - Majdala #2 TN 20: 7d10o10k4 29
Under Her Eye - Majdala #2 damage: 5d10o10k3 21 (-4 for 17 damage)

It doesn't matter as she takes the arrow in the meaty part of her hip, falling to the ground, she attempts to get back up, and slowly rises to her feet, limping off the field. (23 damage total, -15 Wound penalties)

2 points for being hit
1 point for hitting target
3 Points total
Last edited by Asher on Fri May 07, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mekham * Dahabi * House Basiri * Diplomat * Archeologist * Merchant * Curious * Linguist * Local
Influence: City 1 / Dahabi 2/ Faction 1 * Reputation: Glory 3.3/Infamy 0 * Integrity: What is Expected

Speaks: Mekhet, Senpet, Ra'Shari, Yodatai, Rokugani, Invidi
Street Equipment: Nice Clothes, Canteen, Locksmith tools, Calligraphy Kit, Flint & Tinder, Knife
Field Equipment: Sturdy Clothes, Pack, Torches, Rope & Grapple, Blanket, Rations
Companion: Jadzia (Gorilla) - Equipment: Canteen & Medical Kit