Questions by moonlight (LE, The Desert)

Lamis Naaji

Re: Questions by moonlight (LE, The Desert)

Post by Lamis Naaji » Sat May 15, 2021 6:10 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:57 pm
"I'm not sure I understand all the implications of the.... economics involved, Sadiqa", he says still with a grin, his voice in a much lighter tone than
his usual - which suggests no hurt feelings or anything of the kind. "I do understand the place among the Naaji is not guaranteed. Although if that happens... we could try somewhere else. Or return here", he adds, thinking.
"Not exactly, economics. But...signs of being invested? Someone can guard the flocks for a bit of coin, and hunt for themself and others, but then there's nothing that really ties them to the group, yeah? In hard times, they can just move on without a fuss. Harder to accept, yes?" She relaxes against Janan, watching his response to her explaination. "But, once your own animals are part of the flocks and herds and you have family sharing the work and the trouble? Like I said, not a guarantee, but.." she shrugs, "Fiber and meat from the goats and the coin I've been earning there...and then something owed if you're helping with ailments? At least they're not likely to refuse us a place." She's obviously thought about the dynamics of the group--how to fit in, how to make a place for herself.
"Speaking of which... I should probably say a bit more about those loose ends of mine too, if we are to go ahead with this."

<snip>
The first bit, it's a bit strange in spots, but not _that_ strange. "If you feel you would need to see them in some kind of secrecy...well, that doesn't seem like it would be hard in such a crowded place, with so much coming and going. I'd assumed you'd want to return here in any case for medical supplies...or news from friends like Ali, in any case." Which seemed a fairly tacit admittance that visiting the City was hardly taboo. She'd done so after all, and had a disturbing black bow to show for it.

That other part though...

There are so many secrets in this city. It makes hers feel almost mundane, to realize it. "This city is ruled by immortal sorcerers, so it's not that hard to believe that they sit atop something so dangerous." She offers a tight-lipped frown. "But...that you alone keep watch over it in some fashion that just needs an occasional check? That's a bit gritty to just swallow straight down, you know?"

A sip of the water before she offers it back, watching for any hint of recognition of her words. "Well, sometimes the Mountain comes to the Moon instead of other way around*. The world has more in it than my few years have seen. If this sort of...check? duty?...doesn't bring anything to endanger or entangle beyond the City, I'm...curious, honestly."

_________
*Totally making up some "are you an Assassin?" code noises. XD
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Faruq Al-Farhan

Re: Questions by moonlight (LE, The Desert)

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon May 17, 2021 9:19 am

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:10 am
"Not exactly, economics. But...signs of being invested? Someone can guard the flocks for a bit of coin, and hunt for themself and others, but then there's nothing that really ties them to the group, yeah? In hard times, they can just move on without a fuss. Harder to accept, yes?" She relaxes against Janan, watching his response to her explaination. "But, once your own animals are part of the flocks and herds and you have family sharing the work and the trouble? Like I said, not a guarantee, but.." she shrugs, "Fiber and meat from the goats and the coin I've been earning there...and then something owed if you're helping with ailments? At least they're not likely to refuse us a place." She's obviously thought about the dynamics of the group--how to fit in, how to make a place for herself.
His face suggests he still doesn't understand everything that's involved - it's not a culture he knows that much about, after all. But he seems at least to trust her enough to just nod to her as she finishes her explanation with a weak, but apparently confident smile, that... at least seems to be warmer than usual for him.
Lamis Naaji wrote:
The first bit, it's a bit strange in spots, but not _that_ strange. "If you feel you would need to see them in some kind of secrecy...well, that doesn't seem like it would be hard in such a crowded place, with so much coming and going. I'd assumed you'd want to return here in any case for medical supplies...or news from friends like Ali, in any case." Which seemed a fairly tacit admittance that visiting the City was hardly taboo. She'd done so after all, and had a disturbing black bow to show for it.
Another silent nod with a kind, thankful expression to her as she asserts her understanding and acceptance of this part of what he said. But there was still a difficult part to deal with...
Lamis Naaji wrote:
That other part though...

There are so many secrets in this city. It makes hers feel almost mundane, to realize it. "This city is ruled by immortal sorcerers, so it's not that hard to believe that they sit atop something so dangerous." She offers a tight-lipped frown. "But...that you alone keep watch over it in some fashion that just needs an occasional check? That's a bit gritty to just swallow straight down, you know?"

A sip of the water before she offers it back, watching for any hint of recognition of her words. "Well, sometimes the Mountain comes to the Moon instead of other way around*. The world has more in it than my few years have seen. If this sort of...check? duty?...doesn't bring anything to endanger or entangle beyond the City, I'm...curious, honestly."
He keeps his eyes on her as she says this, his expression turning back to a blank one, some worry perhaps half-buried in his eyes. He accepts the waterskin back with a nod, but it takes him some moments as he takes another sip of the water before he answers. When he does, his voice lower and deeper than before, although there's still kindness, openness and thankfulness in them.

"I thought this would bring you worries, sadiqa." He extends one hand with the waterskin back to her with a nod. "This... something... it is very dangerous. Not necessarily immediate danger, not to all - although it is to some..." He lowers his eyes, pain showing in them along with those sparks of determination, or maybe anger, that she may have seen before. "But... it is a great danger." He stops for a moment, as if thinking about something again. "The heartless... may know this and use it for their benefit. That..." He shakes his head, as if acknowledging something. "Well... you've seen one of them first-hand. And the moon cast shadows in mountains across the desert much as it does here*, I'm sure." His eyes keep down in the sand for some more time "But... this is not something I do alone. And it's not just an occasional check. I keep eyes and ears open... but as I said, I will have to return from time to time to deal with this."

He raises his eyes to look at hers again, his other hand extending towards her as well. "I don't expect to bring this danger to the desert, and... to us". This is the first time he puts it like this, and it actually brings a blossoming smile to the corner of his lip. "... not anymore than it may already be looming. As I said, this darkness... it might affect the desert much as the city itself. And... its shadows might extend to parts of the desert as it is now", he adds, thinking again, but soon shakes his head and looks at her seriously, but kindly again. "I will do what I can to keep this darkness from endangering us, Sadiqa. That much I promise. I... will just have to ask you to trust me on the importance of this." A kind, warmer smile than she'll have been used to from him as he keeps his hand extended to her. "And as I said, we may come back together when I need to be here if you like. I'll have some duties I'll have to do alone, but I'll cherish the company."

Lamis Naaji wrote:
_________
*Totally making up some "are you an Assassin?" code noises. XD
*Does he get it? Does he not get it? XD
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.