Four Feet to the Target (LM, The Desert, Observation/Conversation)

Al-Haddar

Re: Four Feet to the Target (LM, The Desert, Observation/Conversation)

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon May 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Lamis Naaji wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 pm
"That's a very specific skill to develop," she says as she hefts the bag. They were a bit of a seasonal treat as the trees at the oasis produced, and sparse, given how many had a claim to them.

"Would you happen to know a merchant with apples? Dried are fine." She'd promised Janan, after all. "This Cat's Tail, perhaps?"

The sparse weight of the bag in her hand, her lips part, ready to say they're really worth more like 10 as another competitor riding down the field catches her eye. Luck has been favoring her, and the city was the sort of place where it might be good to keep the Luck in play.

So instead she finds herself saying, "this is sparse for 20 pool, but I've found a pocket of luck these past days, and that doesn't stay if you hoard it. So here's a bit of luck for you, and a bit less hassle for me," as she digs the coins from her pouch.
Al-Hadaar was expecting a haggle but didn't look the gift horse in the mouth, nimbly making the money disappear in his sleeve. He hadn't been that observant of the contest but the hint was clear.

"Thank you very much milady. Luck is one thing, knowing when to push to make the best of it another. I'm not sure if bets for the grand finale are still opened, but if I don't put some money on your name in time, I'll be the only one to blame for having turned a blind eye to the hints of Lady Fortune.

As for your other question, apples you can easily find at any of the many markets of the city. There is always one around the corner, just follow the sound of many people arguing.

If that's a ravenous craving that cannot wait, I think I saw an apple-fritter seller in the tiers earlier. But jumping before another contestant when they're about to shoot might be less dangerous than tasting their products.

For good apples, the kind that can be eaten raw without ending up with stomach aches, you can try my good friend Abu on the Thoroughfare. Blueish hat, bad mustache, in front of a tableware merchant, sells a variety of fresh fruits himself. He is a grumpy fellow who grunts at clients who buy less than one full basket or haggle, and he could really learn how to be more merciful towards his regulars. But his products are good and he can be swayed more easily that it seems.

For good cooked apples, you can indeed try the Cat's Tail. Maybe some apple chips alongside a good cup of coffee? The owner will be able to advise you on his own specialties better than me."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 pm

Back to the crowd with his back and hips aching a fair bit after what he counted as a great success - actual points gained notwithstanding -, Faruq walked among those gathered, noticing some people being tight to their purses... And a fair bit of commerce going on.

Not that it was particularly unexpected, of course, given all the excitement and the many different people, some seemingly quite affluent. But he still smirked a bit at the thought that the festival has managed to turn part of the desert into something very much like the Thoroughfare.

For now, he kept quiet, wandering and looking at those who went by. Maybe something interesting would happen - or something would catch his attention...

OOC:
Please PM if approaching :)
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Tue May 04, 2021 6:14 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:45 pm
Tag
I really want to help this funny little vendor, but... no. Now's not the...

Lost in thought Kezia almost bumped into the only one in the contest who was arguably performing worse than she was on a pure numbers basis.

"Oh, excuse me, Sidi..."
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Tue May 04, 2021 3:47 pm

Kezia wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:14 am
I really want to help this funny little vendor, but... no. Now's not the...

Lost in thought Kezia almost bumped into the only one in the contest who was arguably performing worse than she was on a pure numbers basis.

"Oh, excuse me, Sidi..."
Faruq is caught by surprise by the Ra'Shari, and almost stumbles when moving out of her way, but soon regains his balance. "Oh... don't mind it, Sayyeda." He nods to her, kindly, although his expression is a bit too serious. "Oh... you're one of the competitors, alays khdlk? Pleased to meet you, Sayyeda. Faruq", he says, extending his hands.
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Al-Hadaar was expecting a haggle but didn't look the gift horse in the mouth, nimbly making the money disappear in his sleeve. He hadn't been that observant of the contest but the hint was clear.

"Thank you very much milady. Luck is one thing, knowing when to push to make the best of it another. I'm not sure if bets for the grand finale are still opened, but if I don't put some money on your name in time, I'll be the only one to blame for having turned a blind eye to the hints of Lady Fortune.

As for your other question, apples you can easily find at any of the many markets of the city. There is always one around the corner, just follow the sound of many people arguing.

If that's a ravenous craving that cannot wait, I think I saw an apple-fritter seller in the tiers earlier. But jumping before another contestant when they're about to shoot might be less dangerous than tasting their products.

For good apples, the kind that can be eaten raw without ending up with stomach aches, you can try my good friend Abu on the Thoroughfare. Blueish hat, bad mustache, in front of a tableware merchant, sells a variety of fresh fruits himself. He is a grumpy fellow who grunts at clients who buy less than one full basket or haggle, and he could really learn how to be more merciful towards his regulars. But his products are good and he can be swayed more easily that it seems.

For good cooked apples, you can indeed try the Cat's Tail. Maybe some apple chips alongside a good cup of coffee? The owner will be able to advise you on his own specialties better than me."
"Oh...no, not fritters." Her nose wrinkles at the thought as she begins to tie the shoddy bag to her belt, then thinks agains of the likelihood of the strings just snapping and instead loops the strings over two of the fingers holding her bow. "The apple is for Janan, so fried things..probably wouldn't be good for her, even if they were finely made." Though after that 'recommendation' she was thinking of avoiding them herself for the stay as well. "But after that performance, I did promise her an apple as a treat. Fresh or dry both get high marks."

"A bushel would be far too much, but I imagine there's agreement to be found with Ser Abu, on quantity. Or," she shrugs with a small smile, "I'll suffer his disapproving grunts." Fiddling with the bag until she can easily pop a few nuts out to eat, she considers the look of them there's a reason I'm never in charge of trading

"As to placing money, I suspect luck would have meant placing some on my name before today's performance." She offers a rueful smile. "I expect the odds-makers will offer a good deal less after today. Ser Arash has a style that I'm less familiar with, but seems well-suited to the contests your khadi has set up for us. Possibly also a good bet."

She pops one of the nuts into her mouth to chew. "Hmm..where were these grown, did you say?"
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Tue May 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:47 pm
Faruq is caught by surprise by the Ra'Shari, and almost stumbles when moving out of her way, but soon regains his balance. "Oh... don't mind it, Sayyeda." He nods to her, kindly, although his expression is a bit too serious. "Oh... you're one of the competitors, alays khdlk? Pleased to meet you, Sayyeda. Faruq", he says, extending his hands.
"Kezia. Pleasure to meet you. And again, my apologies, I'm normally not so clumsy. Got... distracted."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Kezia wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:33 pm

"Kezia. Pleasure to meet you. And again, my apologies, I'm normally not so clumsy. Got... distracted."
"As I said, no apologies needed, Sayyeda", he said in a gentle, but plain tone - his eyes meeting her for a moment then looking away... or, maybe, actually in the direction he imagined he could have been looking at.

"It's quite a gathering, yeah? Easy to get distracted in such a crowd", he says. The fact that it's probably not a very good idea to be distracted is not mentioned, but is quite clearly implied. "'s not every day there's one of the big wigs around the crowd like this, though", he adds. "Oh, but sorry for the rambling... anything I might maybe help you with, Sayyeda? Had you been looking for something, or something like that?"

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Tue May 04, 2021 7:08 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm
"Oh, but sorry for the rambling... anything I might maybe help you with, Sayyeda? Had you been looking for something, or something like that?"
"Another detective, then? Seems the city is awash with them... but as it happens, I'm looking for... reasons, rather than people or things. It tends to complicate matters."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Kezia wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:08 pm
"Another detective, then? Seems the city is awash with them... but as it happens, I'm looking for... reasons, rather than people or things. It tends to complicate matters."
He gives a throaty laugh at her comment. "A detective, you say? Would be a terrible one if I were one", he says, remembering some of his experiences the previous days. "More one who tries to help, if and when I can. And preferably when it's seen as help and not meddling, of course", he adds with a wry grin before his expression turns serious again.

"So... may I ask if you believe it would count as the former rather than the latter? How is it that one looks for reasons?"

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Tue May 04, 2021 7:17 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:13 pm
"So... may I ask if you believe it would count as the former rather than the latter? How is it that one looks for reasons?"
"Generally by asking people about them- there's plenty to go around. Forgive me if that's a bit... cryptic, but sometimes I'm looking for information that could... trouble those looking for it, so I try not to burden well-meaning strangers unduly..."