To See Old Kasim [EA, Maze]

Aydi al-Qais

To See Old Kasim [EA, Maze]

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sat May 01, 2021 9:48 am

EA1. Lore: Mediannat for finding the right guy. 2R.: 4d10o10k3 21
EA1. Navigating Maze! TN10.: 4d10o10k3 21

So, Aydi knew where to go and who to look for. He also knew how to get through to reach him. Still, he kept his guard and remained relatively inconspicuous, letting the Maze live its turbulent life without him adding to the undulation.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Jewel

Re: To See Old Kasim [EA, Maze]

Post by Jewel » Sat May 01, 2021 11:01 am

By the standards of 'a shack in the Maze' the home Old Kasim shared with his children, grandchildren, and perhaps great-grandchildren was well maintained, clean, and well appointed - a sure sign of the respect held by the community, even in this place, for the old man. That said it was still a shack in the Maze and even Aydi's small childhood home, that often had felt so cramped with the distance between him and his father, now seemed palatial in comparison.
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sat May 01, 2021 11:19 am

Aydi behaved respectfully; no matter the quality of the building, it was still a home its inhabitants cared for. He had bought a small basket of fruit as a gift to the household. He cleared his throat and knocked. "As-salamu alaykum. Peace to this house."
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sat May 01, 2021 11:34 am

He is greeted at the door by Kasim the Younger... still at least double Aydi's age if not more. He eyes the younger man with some suspicion, "What brings you to our door?"
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sat May 01, 2021 12:08 pm

"I seek advice from the nestor of your household, rafiq. I am Aydi ibn Ayfat al-Qais." He placed his right hand over his heart.

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sat May 01, 2021 12:33 pm

"My father is old si and needs his rest. While we appreciate the offering he has no time for random visitors without good reason."
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sat May 01, 2021 12:44 pm

"What would constitute a good reason, si? Clearly, the matter I seek his wisdom over is my own, so I am willing to show my gratitude for his precious time."

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sat May 01, 2021 1:24 pm

"There are many good... and many bad. Keep your secrets if you wish, si, and your fruit."
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sat May 01, 2021 1:38 pm

It wasn't going to be easy, it seemed.

"...My friend was attacked by mysterious assailants. Most of them fled and can strike again. I have but a sliver of information by which they may be identified. I've been hoping your nestor might help me in that. So it's all about protecting a friend of mine."

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Sat May 01, 2021 3:24 pm

The man is silent for a moment as he considers then takes the offering basket, "Wait." He turns into the home and the door shuts behind him.

Aydi waits at least ten minutes, beginning to wonder if the offering had been taken on ill faith, before the door opens again.

"You may speak with him, briefly." Kasim the Younger then steps aside to allow Aydi to enter.

The shack is, at best, ten paces across and it seems that Aydi's discussion would have been impossible to keep secret anyways. The majority of the space is taken up by bunked beds, almost feeling more like a barracks than a home, and a small area for preparing food. It is on the lone chair within the shack, in this area by the fire, that Old Kasim sits. Though not appearing underfed or ill, especially by the standards of the Maze, he still appears more as a bundle of sticks and twigs wrapped in a thin layer of dark leather. A few strands of white hair cling tenaciously to his head but they are few and far between. The man is clearly ancient and if one were to guess eight decades they were likely calling him young.
GM • City of Stories