Stepping Up (EM, River District, OPEN)

Ali ibn Farid

Re: Stepping Up (EM, River District, OPEN)

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Sat May 01, 2021 8:37 pm

Ali smiled wryly. "It is, in fact. But I understand the metaphor, regardless." After a moment, he shrugged. "But perhaps that's where a single man can change everything. For themselves. I can choose to be one edge of the blade or the other."

The wry smile faded. "And for the other, well, I go back and forth. Perhaps its not that a single man can change everything, but the right man. Perhaps destiny, or fate, or whatever you would call it, has a say in that." Another shrug. "But I don't have all of the answers. Or, I fear, any of them."
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 am

"Hey, if you had pretended to be that all-knowing all-solving messiah, I would have took to my heels before you could even finish your sentence. My life is crazy enough as it is without finding myself involved with a cult leader – or any member of a cult really."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Sun May 02, 2021 5:29 pm

Ali snorted. "Well, if I am, no one's informed me. And I don't have nearly as big of a following as I feel like I should."

After a few moments he shrugged. "I'll admit, I don't think I have what it takes to be a cult leader. Or a cult follower, for that matter." The Ebonites weren't a cult, not exactly. "Perhaps that just means I haven't found the right sort of cult yet. I should shop around a bit more." The smile made it clear that it was a joke.
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon May 03, 2021 1:04 pm

"Senpet stuff is all the rage I've heard.

If they have too many gods for your taste, you can go for any of the doomsday cults whose bread and butter is that a new Day of Wrath will be upon us soon but it'll somehow be fine for you if you do what they say.

There is also always some semblance of a cult at a given time whose tagline is that they can make a Khadi out of you. Unless you really wish to die by the hand of one of your colleagues, I'll advise against this one. Not that I advise you join any! But even as cults go, this one is especially bad. Attract only the most desperate or devious of people."
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm

"Which to choose, which to choose..." Ali murmured, his lips twisting into an approximation of a thoughtful frown. "That all sounds very complicated to me. I'll have to weigh my decision very carefully."

He smirked. "Or, I suppose, we could just focus on day to day life, eh? That might be for the best."

After a few moments, he glanced at Al-Haddar, smiling. "You have a fine sense of humor, friend. Either that, or a wide knowledge of cults, I suppose."
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon May 03, 2021 7:53 pm

"Walls are thin in the Maze, preachers speak loudly and my hearing's excellent... But I confess some of my best horror stories might be second hand and not perfectly in sync with the actual facts.

In all honesty, I don't mingle with these people. They're a dangerous bunch and I don't like to live dangerously."

That's an understatement. For both statements.

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 pm

"That's probably for the best." Ali said agreeably. "After all, it seems to me that a fellow has enough to worry about without dangerous cults living next door. The odd madman..." He shrugged, smiling. "Well, that's just life in the Maze, isn't it?"

He grinned. "I'm tempted to ask for some of your horror stories. I've got a few I can trade. But there's nothing wrong with staying out of trouble. I only go looking for it some of the time." A moment, and then he chuckled. "Besides, most trouble has a way of finding you, eh?"
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue May 04, 2021 11:46 am

"Trouble is at best only one friend – or one sibling – away. But can't complain too much, at least my job is not to actively look out for it.

Most horror stories I know turn around the Khadi so I would rather not tell them to you, or you might be obligated to put me under arrest. Most however are just retelling of older stories, with their own monsters and demons, and the Khadi added in just to spice them with some modern flavor.

My late brother would sometimes swear he had seen some horrors with his own eyes and that might have been true as he was daring enough to risk himself in some of the oldest and oddest places of the city. But as for myself, haven't got to meet any bogeyman myself yet and don't exactly look forward to it."

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Ali shook his head. "I haven't arrested anyone for that yet, and I don't intend to today. Or any other day, for that matter. If I did, I might as well lock myself up." He grimaced, shaking his head. Why was he always committing a little light treason before breakfast? He needed to remember to eat before going on patrol.

"Horrors are not something one often looks forward to meeting. Although..." Ali's jaw worked for a few moments, but he said nothing more.

He came to a stop. "It's been a pleasant walk with you, friend. But I feel obligated to continue my regular patrol." He inclined his head. "I hope we will meet again."
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue May 04, 2021 4:59 pm

"Same, but only if it's not as part of your duty.

Not that I have any intention to break the law of course! But I wouldn't be the first or the last innocent to end up behind bars."

He tilted back his own head:

"On that, have a nice day sir."