Stepping Up (EM, River District, OPEN)

Ali ibn Farid

Re: Stepping Up (EM, River District, OPEN)

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:51 pm

"Ah, very good." Ali acknowledged politely, inclining his head. "And yes, as I understand, there's some sort of opening ceremony later this morning, and the first stage of the competition this evening."

He smiled, just a little, semi-modestly. "As it happens, I may get the chance to sample some of your snacks. I intend to be entering the competition. I don't have much hope of winning... but, well, more than if I didn't enter, eh?"
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 pm

"Ah? Oh, I mean, I can see your bow and I don't doubt your ability with, I'm just surprised the competition is opened to the guard. The Khadi don't need to host a special event to watch their own men at work do they?"

He pondered that for an instant, then added:

"I guess that's one way to see how the city guard fare against other kind of warriors. Though now this gives me concerns about why the higher-ups are suddenly interested in how their forces compare to other forces. Don't seem like the prelude to anything peaceful when presented that way."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:54 pm

Ali shook his head. "I wouldn't worry to much about it on that account." It might be slightly worrying just how much emphasis he put on that. "But it's hardly practice battles, or anything like that, at least so far as I know. And there's guards and then there's guards; I'm one of the latter, and we're a widespread bunch."

He chewed his lip. "Still... one does sometimes wonder why the Khadi do any of the things they do. And sometimes one doesn't." Ali grimaced.
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 pm

"I fail to understand what goes through my neighbor's head half of the time – especially when he starts hooting on the full moon – and we're both simple humans about the same age, born in the same neighborhood and currently in the same financial duress. So, the logic of an immortal thaumaturge... Won't even try. Not much I can do about it except prepare for the worst anyway.

Thinking of it, there were a higher than average number of persons oozing military training near the Ra'Shari caravan yesterday. Notably a Senpet colossus and a redhead from I dunno where with one dancer under each arm."
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm

"I don't have a hooting neighbor, so I can't speak as to that." Ali chuckled. "But besides that, once again, I'd say you speak wisdom."

"A redhead?" Ali blinked. "Goodness. I can't imagine where such a person would be from either. But a Senpet colossus... a woman, perchance? Tarset by name?"
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sat May 01, 2021 12:10 pm

"Maybe? We haven't been introduced, she was busy with Qasim al-Basiri, a local merchant whose everyday clothes alone are worth more than everything I own. But I doubt there are two ladies her size in town. Pretty sure she was trying to sell her services to him.

As for the man, if he is a pillow talker, the whole caravan must know of his full biography today."

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Sat May 01, 2021 12:37 pm

"I see." Ali's eyebrows went up, and they walked for a few moments in silence. "In fact, I was thinking of visiting the Ra'Shari caravan soon. It's worth taking the opportunity while they're in town. I met one of them last night, not far from here. We had quite a pleasant conversation."

"And she probably was. Tarset's a mercenary, or so I gathered. But one with interesting idea." Ali shrugged. "I shouldn't mind working with her sometime. On the right sort of job."
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sat May 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Al-Haddar's smile twitched:

"Are there really any good jobs in the violence business?"

Then he clasped his hands as if nothing had happened:

"Oh, maybe you're thinking about some unarmed, unarmored, indoor work... In that case, I know of a few girls with similar body types and very reasonable fares..."

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 pm

One eyebrow came up. "I shall keep that in mind, friend." He said mildly.

Ali shook his head. "But you ask an interesting question. I suppose I might be considered to be in the violence business... but I like to think that my presence reduces violence. Protection, rather than inflicting harm. At least..." He sighed. "-protecting to the extend that I can. There's only so much that one man can do, eh?"
Description

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Sat May 01, 2021 8:29 pm

"If you're hoping to be reassured with quotes about how a single man can change everything... Ask a priest. My family has lived in the Maze for as many generations as we can remember, the Dahabi are as rich and powerful as they ever were, our Calif is about 200 years old and will probably still be there in 200 years... Things seem doomed to stay the same here, with only marginal improvements possible.

Still, better than no improvement at all. Life is about the little victories, the little compromises. As a city guard, you've got both access to the means of restricting violence... and can be a great instrument of violence against anyone your superiors don't like. I don't know if your actual sword is double-edged, but your metaphorical one surely is."