Round 1, Flight! (EE, The Desert, Observation Thread)

Raya

Re: Round 1, Flight! (EE, The Desert, Observation Thread)

Post by Raya » Sat May 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Ali ibn Farid wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:00 pm
"No, in fact, I'm quite good at frowning." Ali said, quite seriously. After a moment, he chuckled. "But yes, I take your meaning."

"In that case, I'll make double sure of going. I do rather like celebrations, and festivals and such, actually. I enjoy watching people have a good time. That's often when you see them at their best." He tilted his head, regarding the Ra'Shari girl. "I do wonder if it looks different from the entertainer's perspective. What are the people who come to enjoy some time with your caravan like?"
"They look like people who are weighed heavily with responsibility, and need freedom for an evening. Or two. Or three" Raya answered honestly "Ra'Shari are not immune to such heavy weight, we understand sidi, but we cast the shackles aside before they tighten around our necks. There is no reason to feel tomorrows burdens today, yes?"
Ra'shari * Ninja * Dancer * Pretty * Lovely Voice * Sweet * Exciteable * Quiet when she wants to be * Profile
Influence: 1 | Reputation: 2.3 | Integrity: Untrustworthy
Equipment: Dancers clothing (almost all the time), a smile, a pack of cards and a bubbily attitude. Maybe a knife
Languages: Mekhem, Ra'Shari

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Sat May 01, 2021 8:48 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:21 am
"Hah, I've done my share of hard physical work, mind you!" He rolled up his sleeve a bit and flexed, being indeed on the toned side. "And I have a taskmaster for a father who impressed on me the importance of good education the arduous way. So I know things about what I have yet to see with my own eyes. But if you're asking what I do for living, I am a part-time city guard, and a private detective. Though not as well-travelled as I'd like. Maybe some day, once my investigations take me out of the city. For now, the life in here is busy enough."

He smirked, rolling the sleeve back. "And you, Sayyeda Naaji, are you here more on commercial interests of your tribe, or to win this archery bout?"
There's a light chuckle at the flex. "Ah, but the builders are all cracked nails with dirt under them and half a dozen scars...from tools, I imagine. I haven't done that sort of building, nor seen it done out on the sands." Her own hands are dark from the sun, weathered from sand and wind, and bear the callouses of bow, reins, and hafted weapons at least.

"Still, guard is a profession always in use. What's one do as a private detective though? Investigations sound like something scholarly. Which I guess might well take you to ruins, yes?" It's not really something that makes sense as a profession outside of cities

"But for myself?" Her grin grows more amused with a self-deprecating shrug. "Heard about it and...wanted to see some more world before I'm tied to a family of my own. And here's the fabled Jewel, and khadi, and people from places I've never seen, all for the price of showing off a bit? Sign me up."
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 am

"Nails grow back and can be cleaned." He laughed. "I must admit my profession of a detective is not that popular. Basically, I help people find out things that are personally important for them, especially if matters of justice are involved. So it's less about ruins. That's what archaeologists are about."

Her other answer only kept his smile up. "Ah, so you're out on an adventure, Sayyeda Naaji! Very nice! Hope you're having fun!" He gestured around. "Any other plans on how to experience this big boiling pot of a city?"
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Sun May 02, 2021 5:14 am

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:25 am
"Nails grow back and can be cleaned." He laughed. "I must admit my profession of a detective is not that popular. Basically, I help people find out things that are personally important for them, especially if matters of justice are involved. So it's less about ruins. That's what archaeologists are about."

Her other answer only kept his smile up. "Ah, so you're out on an adventure, Sayyeda Naaji! Very nice! Hope you're having fun!" He gestured around. "Any other plans on how to experience this big boiling pot of a city?"
"Interesting, so mostly justice. Does that mean working for the...well whatever the city guard here are called. Or is that a matter that one handles personally?" After another moment of consideration, she adds, "I suppose the personally important things that don't involve justice are just that last one. Like...you could find a childhood friend that vanished or something, and the city guard probably aren't involved?"

Mari's shots catch her eye for a moment. "Unusual style...that last shot had no business landing, but she must have some luck riding with her."

"As to my plans..." Her hands clasp gently before her. "Take the opportunity to offer prayers in the fabled House of the Heavens, find trinkets for the little cousins at the market, practice a bit. I'll need it to do any better in this field."
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sun May 02, 2021 5:27 am

"I am in both businesses actually; helping the khadi patrol the streets, and helping the people in cases like you've described. Speaking of patrolling, my precinct is the Thoroughfare, so I can show you where you can find trinkets for your cousins if you join me on one of the mornings."

He followed Mari's shots. "It looks like she might be from that mysterious country in the east called the Emerald Empire. No wonder their archery is mysterious too. Guess with them it's more useful to follow the hands on the bowstring, not the arrow."

Just like you would with a sahir. He thought.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Sun May 02, 2021 6:08 am

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:27 am
"I am in both businesses actually; helping the khadi patrol the streets, and helping the people in cases like you've described. Speaking of patrolling, my precinct is the Thoroughfare, so I can show you where you can find trinkets for your cousins if you join me on one of the mornings."

He followed Mari's shots. "It looks like she might be from that mysterious country in the east called the Emerald Empire. No wonder their archery is mysterious too. Guess with them it's more useful to follow the hands on the bowstring, not the arrow."

Just like you would with a sahir. He thought.
"Absolutely. On a day with this little wind, everything that affects the arrow is done when it leaves the string." Her hand lifts with a pinch and release as she says this. "Someone from so far away competing. Well...I did hope to see things I might not otherwise have a chance to. I believe that definitely counts as one of them."

"As for the shopping, perhaps. If competition requirements tie up part of the morning, prayer must fit into the remaining time, leaving little for shopping." She brushes her hands off against her caftan. "Speaking of which, there's still time for evening prayers with this finished. If you'll excuse me, I shouldn't dally."

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 am

"Of course. Thank you for your time and insightful commentary, Sayyeda. Shilah be merciful." He nodded, smiled and stepped away so the could have a clear path out.