Boasts and Bets (LM, Outside the gates to the Houses of Dahab, Event)

Jewel

Boasts and Bets (LM, Outside the gates to the Houses of Dahab, Event)

Post by Jewel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:36 am

For the rank and file of Medinaat al-Salaam, and even some nobles, it surely is a sight to see. Over the course of the morning the roadway leading to the Houses of the Dahab has been transformed. Great tables line the street heaped high with food of all sorts and origins as well as carafes, samovars, and pitchers holding various teas, coffees, juices, and, of course, water. More water than most peasants could likely ever get their hands on in a year.

Standing at the center of it all is the figure of Majdala al-Rashid. To those who did not know better she might seem a slight, almost short, noble woman of some considerate beauty. But there were few in Medinaat al-Salaam who did not know better. This was one of the Khadi. One of the immortal sorcerers who served the Caliph and oversaw the rule of the city. Powerful beyond measure in magic... and in the material world as well. For she was an important figure in House Rashid while serving as the delegate, in turn, from the Caliph to House Menjari. Her wealth and influence was among the greatest in all of Medinaat al-Salaam.

As a sizable crowd gathered she began to speak. Despite her voice being soft, though firm, it carried from one end of the great Thoroughfare to the other most assuredly with the aid of magic, "Thank you. Thank you all for joining me this day, and in the upcoming days, in celebration of the greatest of the martial arts... archery!"

This is met by applaud and cheers driven much more clearly by a drive to impress or fear itself as opposed to true enthusiasm by most - but loud and apparently satisfying to the Khadi none the less.

"Today we shall meet our great competitors. Learn their names and their prowess and prepare for the tournament itself. Each of you who would compete, or sponsor one to compete, come forward and make yourself known! After that help yourselves to small lunch we have prepared. Once we have met all of our competitors, and they have taken their share, the rest may eat freely."

Nearby, barely even distracted by the waiting food, the various book keepers of the city listened with great intent... ready to adjust and prepare their offering for this grand occasion.

(Characters will present themselves as competitors. They may also attempt to Boast.

Boasting: Characters who choose to boast roll Perform:Oratory/Awareness and may add either their ranks of Archery or Horsemanship as a bonus to the resulting roll. The base TN is 10. Success, and each raise, will increase any Reputation gains from the tournament by .1 each. A character who fails at Boasting will suffer -1 to rolls during Round 1 of the tournament for the failure and for each raise called as they dwell on the shameful jeerings and laughs at their claims.

A character who successfully boasted, but does not gain any Reputation from the Tournament, will suffer an Integrity loss at the end of the tournament for 'Lying to Bolster Your Reputation'

Successful boasting will reduce the potential payout of betting on that character. Failed boasting will increase the potential payout.

Boasting rolls will only count if rolled before archery rolls for Round 1

Betting will also occur but for ease of tracking please keep that to the Betting Board thread)
GM • City of Stories

Arash Karuvah

Re: Boasts and Bets (LM, Outside the gates to the Houses of Dahab, Event)

Post by Arash Karuvah » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 am

The handsome Invinda prince stepped forward.

"Greetings all, I am Arash, of House Karuvah. I am here to entertain and awe you, and show you the skills of my people, home to heroes like Rama, the legendary archer!"

He raised his bow, an elegantly carved device, above his head.

OOC:
D2 LM Boasts and Bets, Perform: Oratory/Awareness, untrained, +2 from Archery/Horsemanship, tn 10: 3d10+2 21
Invinda * Kshatriya * Warrior * Prodigy * Khadi's Hound * Betrothed
Influence: 1/3/1 * Reputation: 1.0 * Integrity: Honorable
Languages: Mekhem, Ivindi
Carries on duty: Tulwar, light armor, shield
Carries off duty: elegant clothing, kukri

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:55 am

Ali stepped forward. "Ali ibn Farid, competing." And then he stepped back.

Well, no one could accuse him of lying, that was certain.

(No boast)
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:43 pm

Kezia's attire struck something of a balance between her unobtrusive, even drab attire in the city the day berfore, and the elaborate, revealing, and more... expressive dancer's wear she'd favored in the evening.

Not here to go unnoticed, nor to get coins thrown at her by onlookers, the Ra'Shari stepped forward in a clean-well-made pair of trousers, embroidered blouse, and simple vest.

"I am Kezia of the Great Caravan of Entertainment. And while I can't pretend to come from the land of Rama, I'll try anything once."

And hey, free lunch. That's nice.

[No boast here]
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.

Lamis Naaji

Post by Lamis Naaji » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Lamis joined the throng, Her loose-sleeved caftan freshly cleaned, but otherwise unremarkable in the crowd of fancy city dwellers.

Lamis Naaji. My bow's kept my belly fed, we'll see if it does anything greater among this crowd.

Stepping back, she examines each competitor carefully before joining everyone at the feast, tucking three dates away for Janan.

(not boasting)
Mekham * Nomad * Ninja (secret) * Warrior-flavored (not secret) * Very new in town * Janan's rider
Influence-City 0, Origin 2, Faction 1 * Glorious 1, Infamous 0 * Integrity- Honorless

Equipment usually present: Comfortable Nomad's clothing and jewelry, Knife (Kindjal)

Languages: Mekham, Ivindi

Sada-al-Haffit

Post by Sada-al-Haffit » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:35 pm

"May I introduce Casimir of the Rashiri? May his quiver entertain you all."

(No boast)
Dahabi| House Haffit| Water distribution business owner
Influence 1| Reputation 1| Integrity 2.5
Sage, Very Wealthy, and ready to help

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 pm

The bearded man with a chequered keffiyeh stepped forward after the others, with slightly hesitant steps as he looked around at the others.

"Faruq al-Farhan, simple man of the Jewel's streets. Always hoping to learn", he says in a serious, but slightly low voice for the purposes of presenting himself, before stepping back again.

When back to the thick of the crowd, he keeps an eye on all the others presenting themselves.

(No boast at all :lol: )
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Qasim al-Basiri

Post by Qasim al-Basiri » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:25 pm

Qasim stepped forward wearing a fine thawb it dashing crimson trimmed in gold, gold beads jingles lightly in his long hair. He carried with him the rich earthy scent of Oud with some hazelnut notes.

"Hello ladies and gentlemen what a glorious morning we have. Now lady Majdala al-Rashid has, in her infinite wisdom, given us all an opportunity to display our skill in one of the most venerable of arts, Archery! Now I myself would never dream of stepping foot near a bow lest we fear for the safety of all on lookers, besides I wouldn't dream of making lady al-Rashid sit through such a deplorable performance." He paused briefly before motioning to his side

"I have however found one of the most dangerous women with a bow this side of the burning sands to entertain and delight with her mastery of Ranged arts. You may at first think she is a Simple caravan guard but I have watched her split not one but two of her own previously shot arrows hitting a bulls eye three times in a row. Her accuracy is so precise she could hit the eye of a snake from over fifty yards! I enthusiastically present for your consideration the master archer Khadija!" He continued his voice inflecting his words precisely, his voice swelling and ebbing at the perfect moments before announcing his champion at a roaring crescendo and as he did so a woman stepped forward a hood over her head and bow strapped to her back. She had a serious expressioln and bowed to the khadi before stepping slightly behind her patron.

----
D2 boasting oratory awa 1 cr tn 15 vp for skill: 5d10o10k4 56
+.2 rep gain
Dahabi | Merchant | Luxurious | Proprietor of Light and Shadow Luxuries | Greedy | Dangerously Handsome |Man of Many Blessings
Integrity: To be expected Reputation: 1 Influence: 1
On Person: Fine Clothing, jewelry, expensive perfume

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:06 pm

Rufus isn't much of an orator, but he knows himself to be the outsider, and that he himself isn't the best shot. He is a touch wary, and figures a bit of humor isn't the worst thing.

"The best archers let the whistle of the arrows speak for themselves. And so, when it comes to my skills-"

Rufus abruptly cuts himself off after making it seem like he was going somewhere with them. It takes a moment for the crowd to get it, and then there is a guffaw and then a titter of laughter, along with a few smiles. It seems that the crowd approved of the joke

Boasts and Bets-Oratory/Awareness (untrained)- 1 raise- TN 15: 3d10+1 16
(edit no raise effect)
Last edited by Rufus Belgica on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1
Carries: Pugio, charcoal and parchment, skin of vinum, camping equipment
For combat: Scutum, two pilum, gladius, chain shirt

Nasim ibn Jalil

Post by Nasim ibn Jalil » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:57 pm

Nasim stepped forward next, spreading his arms. "I am Nasim ibn Jalil." He glanced towards the supervising Khadi. "And I know, by the grace of Shilah, I shall entertain." He smiled and stepped back.

Oratory: 28 +.1 Rep
Mekham • Sahir • Secretive • Greedy • Sneaky
Influence: 1 | Reputation: 1 | Integrity: Untrustworthy

Carries: Kindjal, astrolabe, spare change
Languages: Mekhem, Senpet