Out of trouble and into the unknown (LA, Entry of the Maze, Open)

Al-Haddar

Out of trouble and into the unknown (LA, Entry of the Maze, Open)

Post by Al-Haddar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:59 pm

Al-Haddar caught his breath. A small... job almost ended up poorly after some henchperson (Al-Haddar wasn't sure which faction they were representing if any) suddenly felt like being fussy about his paperwork, the legality of what he had been selling in that alley, and probably other things too, but Al-Haddar was already running for his life before they had more time to elaborate.

Luckily one of the only good things about the Maze is, as its name subtly suggests, that it can be very easy to lose someone there if you know what you're doing. And, as a native of the quarter, Al-Haddar kind of did.

He stretched and looked around attentively, just in case he had been less successful in his escape than he had thought.
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Raya

Re: Out of trouble and into the unknown (LA, Entry of the Maze, Open)

Post by Raya » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Perhaps the man hadn't made it. Maybe he had fallen and gone to whatever version of afterlife he believed in, because standing nearby looking at him was a woman with wild black hair, and in colourful and revealing blue outfit.

Raya had been in this direction entirely by accident, passing by with a few items on her way back to the caravans when a man seemed to explode out of the maze sprinting before coming to a stop near her.

"Are you ok sidi? The last time I saw a man run like that he was caught in another mans caravan with the wife."
Ra'shari * Ninja * Dancer * Pretty * Lovely Voice * Sweet * Exciteable * Quiet when she wants to be * Profile
Influence: 1 | Reputation: 2.3 | Integrity: Untrustworthy
Equipment: Dancers clothing (almost all the time), a smile, a pack of cards and a bubbily attitude. Maybe a knife
Languages: Mekhem, Ra'Shari

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:37 pm

"Peace on you milady.

That would have been Fathi two days ago when he was trying to escape the wrath of Dekel the Butcher – thus called because he is an actual butcher, not because he kills people gruesomely, though one could have doubted it that night – by running more quickly than any man has ever run. It went on for what felt hours some hero went out and punched the both of them.

My own predicament was less amusing in nature. Some vulture preying on an honest merchant. Had to run or the money my old aging mother needs so much would have ended up in their greasy hands.

But what brings such a fine lady so close to such a ill-famed neighborhood?"
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Raya

Post by Raya » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:07 pm

"Actually the incident in question happened many years ago, but it appears to be common enough to come up again" Raya said with a smirk, before shaking her head "I don't think sidi should be bringing important coin into the maze without some manner of guard. I'm not a local, but even I know its reputation. Fortunately I can look after myself."

She winked at him, before adding "as for why I am here? Entirely an accident, I was passing by this way when you came running. Is sidi still in danger then?"
Ra'shari * Ninja * Dancer * Pretty * Lovely Voice * Sweet * Exciteable * Quiet when she wants to be * Profile
Equipment: Dancers clothing (almost all the time), a smile, a pack of cards and a bubbily attitude. Maybe a knife

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:38 pm

"Likely not. The content of my purse is not worth tracking me for so long.

And I live in there, so there's no escaping having to go through it with a bit of coins or merchandises at time. But I make do, I'm used to it.

You mentioned the caravan several time, so I guess it is your own home?"

Raya

Post by Raya » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:23 am

"Depends if they think tracking that purse will lead to greater profits" Raya said with a frown "sidi should be careful regardless."

The question about the caravans caused a smile to grow.

"Yes! Does Sidi not recognise a Ra'Shari when he sees one?" she laughed "I am Raya, from the Great Caravans of Entertainment!"

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:55 am

"Well... You would be surprised by how many entertainment girls with not a single drop of Ra'shari dress and put make-up in a pseudo-Ra'shari way to sell extra exoticism to their customers. Especially in this part of the city. Selling fakeness is pretty much a tradition of the Maze."

Raya

Post by Raya » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 am

"Is it really? Ra'Shari receive enough abuse without people pretending to be us!"

She paused, then shrugged.

"But I suppose it is flattery in some way, yes? Still, now you can see the fakes much easier having met real Ra'Shari, yes?"

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:57 am

"Uh... The customers for these things tend to pay to enjoy their vision of what a Ra'shari is, a vision that might not fully embrace the complexity of the world and its people. Let's just say they're the same kind of people that think a person squinting their eyes is from Rokugan and leave it at that.

I've met a few Ra'shari in the past actually. Your caravans do stop by the Jewel several times a year after all. I think the current one is focused on show business, isn't it?"

Raya

Post by Raya » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:30 am

"Always one of us is here" Raya gave a nod to that "for now, it is best caravan. The Great Caravan of Entertainment, where the best and most talented performers are! The most modest too" she grinned "you should visit! All are welcome to join in the festivities of the Ra'Shari, we do not discriminate."