A Case of Confusion (EA, Ayfat's Home, Closed)

Jewel

Re: A Case of Confusion (EA, Ayfat's Home, Closed)

Post by Jewel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:51 am

The old man had seemingly already forgotten Aydi was there as he slowly turned in the intersection. Again he was muttering... something almost like a nursery rhyme? Though definitely not one Aydi had ever heard as a child.

"The paths dark and dangerous be/Find your way by rite of three/Three and nine and six and three...."

Ayfat's mood darkens again as looks back the way he came and then ahead - as if seeking an answer that wasn't coming.

"If this is five... but five of six or five of nine.... If I don't know... if I don't know I'll have to start at the beginning."

He turns as if to walk back the way Aydi has arrived from before freezing again, "But if this is five... five of six or five of nine? Which way back to the start...."
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am

Inadvertently, Aydi's mind was drawn toward breaking the riddle down. What was it? Number of turns on the way? He tried to count them from memory. If he had a guarantee the old man would let be led out once they get back to the start, he would support it, but he doubted he could convince Ayfat to anything.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:30 am

The old man seemed frustrated and lost... and perhaps a little scared.
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:33 am

"...Shall we turn back and return another day, when you remember?" Aydi quietly suggested.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:39 am

"But... which way is back?"

Gone is the strength and anger from before, now it is just the voice of a broken old man.
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:45 am

"No worries, alab, I'll find the way back, you can trust me." Aydi smiled broadly even though deep inside he wasn't as sure as he wanted to appear. Still, when he focused, maybe it wouldn't be that hard. "Just come with me."

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:04 pm

"I suppose you were always decent at that, at least, sniffing your way back home. Go, go."

(Hunting/Perception (Tracking)TN10 to head back to where you entered, Hunting/Intelligence (Trailblazing) TN15 to find the nearest way up

Going back will require another Stealth check as you recross things that may be following your scent/noise
Going to the nearest route up only does if you fail the roll, otherwise the existing Stealth check stands)
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:15 pm

Aydi decided to not risk traversing the sewers all that way back and sought the nearest exit. They had been tempting fate long enough.

"Come, Alab." He said calmly, swallowing the barb and focusing on patterns among the corridors that could lead them out of the underground maze.

EA1. Getting out, nearest exit. VP.: 5d10o10k4 24

Jewel

Post by Jewel » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 pm

Ayfat blinks in the bright sunlight as they surface somewhere in what Aydi believes to be the Residential Quarter.

He grunts and looks back at his son, "And you expect me to walk all the way back? In this heat?" He grumbles and stretches his back, "I'll be too damn sore to go again."
GM • City of Stories

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:37 pm

"Let's stop somewhere under shade for a coffee before we move on. How about that, alab?" The old man was right, it was midday, Shilah was meritless, and the sewers down there were much cooler. He still thought he'd made the right decision.