How Bazaar! (EE, Thoroughfare)

Ali ibn Farid

Re: How Bazaar! (EE, Thoroughfare)

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:56 pm

Ali grinned, both in his own excitement, and partially at the excitement displayed by the beautiful young woman next to him.

Indeed, while the performance was a good one for out of doors, and the dancer had good control, it probably wasn't a good idea for inside with flammable objects all around. The burning strands went up and around, and came awfully close to the audience, making them gasp and step back. Ali was no exception, although he grinned and laughed as the flames got close to him.

The two ropes spiraled and spun, the music reaching a crescendo... and then suddenly ended. The woman spun and seemed to fold in on herself, extinguishing the fire... with her body? It was hard to see for sure. And then they both rose, and bowed.

Ali clapped, leaning over to drop a coin in the waiting jar.
Mekham * Ebonite (secret!) * Templar (also secret!) * Destiny! * Khadi's Dog
Influence: 1/1/1 * Reputation: Glorious 1.1 Infamous 1 * Integrity: Honorable
Description
Carries on duty: Longsword, light armor, bow
Carries off duty: Sturdy Clothing, knife

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:15 pm

The first second a rope had come even close to her Soraya had ended up behind Ali, hugging herself loosely to his back to keep him between her and the fiery extensions. It was more of an instinctual response than any worry that the woman was actually trying to hit her with the ropes or anything, but she didn't really think about it either way.

When the performer put out the ropes, however, she was quick to emerge and clap all the louder for the audacious display.
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected
Typically Carries: Exquisite clothing, jewelry, coin purse

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:27 pm

Ali's back was solid and muscled, and he was all too pleased to have Soraya press against him. Ebonites were notoriously incorruptible... but really...

With that, it seemed that the performance was over. At least this one; the crowd milled about uncertainly, as a few other people in performance attire seemed to discuss amongst themselves who would be going next.

Grinning, eyes bright, Ali glanced at his companion. "They'll probably sort it out soon enough if we stick around. Or... have you eaten, miss al-Menjari? Festival food can be fun."
Description

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:52 pm

"I was actually looking for interesting food as well; Part of why I was out here. I am sure dinner is waiting for me at home, but I wanted something... different. I have heard tales of this "festival food", that people get excited for it and such."

She nodded sagely, convinced she had stumbled upon a can't-miss opportunity to try something rare and delicious.

"Lead me to this food then and I shall try it myself."

Sora had not meant to put an imperious aire for that, but she was just so used to commanding people to do things.
Mekham * Dahabi * House Menjari * Diplomat * Princess * Naive * Gorgeous * Pampered * Curious * Lustful * Khadi's Lover
Influence:
City 3 Origin 3 Faction 1 | Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 | Integrity: What is expected

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:51 pm

Ali looked at her, eyebrows going up, along with the corners of his lips, amused. "As you wish, princess." He flashed a quick grin at her before leading the way out of the crowd.

It wasn't far to where most of the food was, the scents of meat and spice leading them. The distinctive sizzle of hot oil could be heard as merchants plunged various edibles into them. "Festival food is almost always fried. I don't know why. Maybe because it's easy to hold and eat as you walk?" Ali shrugged. "Anything strike your fancy?"

Skewers, falaffels, fried and sometimes stuffed breads, all seemed to be on offer. As well as some sweets, honeycomb and baklava.
Description

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:57 pm

"I will admit I have never eaten and walked at the same time. I am unsure how difficult that would be to learn to do..."

She was sure she'd had fried foods before... but she could not really recall. As much as she asked about what foods were or not, asking about preparation and such usually didn't get as much information. After all, it was the staff that did all the cooking.

"Perhaps start with something simple then?"
Influence:

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 pm

"I'm sure you'll manage." Ali shrugged. "Or we can find a place to sit, if you prefer. As for simple..."

Getting food proved marvelously easy, if one knew how. Ali stepped up to a booth, pointing, and then holding up two fingers. Mere moments after that, and two skewers were placed in his hand.

He tossed down another coin, then turned and offered one skewer to Sora. "There, food with a handle. Simple enough. Just watch out for the pointy end."
Description

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:25 pm

Sora took the skewer thankfully; She was feeling quite peckish, having skipped any sort of snack or anything before leaving the house. She took a look at the skewer curiously.

"You do not eat the handle then I take it? What a curious way to eat."
Influence:

Ali ibn Farid

Post by Ali ibn Farid » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Ali laughed cheerfully, shaking his head. "No, don't eat the skewer. It's wood. Here, like this..." He held up the skewer horizontally. Then, with fierce exaggeration, he bit into a piece of the hot, spicy meat, tearing it away with his teeth.

That done, he looked at her expectantly, eyebrows raised.
Description

Soraya al-Menjari

Post by Soraya al-Menjari » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:31 pm

...what an UNUSUAL way to eat. Putting things on a piece of wood then teething them? Why, it was like the most impractical fork in the world!

Still, Sora gave it a try. She approached the meat from the side and nibbled it carefully, trying to tug in various ways and even lick it before looking up at Ali with a pout, "This is most impractical."

She gave it one more try and managed to pull the piece of pork off... and it promptly fell to the ground at her feet as the princess gave a little huff of disappointment.

"And quite hot still."
Influence: