A Friend in Need [D1, LA, The Maze, Expecting but Open]

Faruq Al-Farhan

A Friend in Need [D1, LA, The Maze, Expecting but Open]

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Faruq walks through the Maze carrying a large bucket with some water, and bringing some medical supplies by his side. This is clearly not the first side he walks through the narrow, winding streets, but he still has to stop to think now and then before finally alighting at a slightly more open square, where he sets down the bucket, where now it's clear there is a ladle, extends a sheet on the ground, sits down and places the medical implements by his side.

He doesn't speak much, but neither does he have to. He expects soon enough some people will be approaching to ask for water, or with wounds to be taken care of...

OOC:
D1 LA - Finding my way through the Maze to provide services. Finding the Path with Hunting/ Per.: 2d10k2 10 -> That will do!
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Arash Karuvah

Re: A Friend in Need [D1, LA, The Maze, Expecting but Open]

Post by Arash Karuvah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Arash was coming through, two big water skins in his hands on one side, a sack of food in the other, his kukri in its sheath. He walked stoically, and stopped at a point, and started handing off his gifts.

He glanced towards a familiar figure.

"Salaam alalaikum." He nodded towards Faruq.
Invinda * Kshatriya * Warrior * Prodigy * Khadi's Hound * Betrothed
Influence: 1/3/1 * Reputation: 1.0 * Integrity: Honorable
Languages: Mekhem, Ivindi
Carries on duty: Tulwar, light armor, shield
Carries off duty: elegant clothing, kukri

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm

Eyes which were - apparently always - slightly tired and had dark circles beneath them turned to the well-dressed Ivindi, greeting him with a slight smile and a nod.

"Wa aleikum as-salaam, 'akhy* Arash. How's the day find you? I see you're here to lend a helping hand again. I'm sure many will be thankful"

-------------
*friend
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:50 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Eyes which were - apparently always - slightly tired and had dark circles beneath them turned to the well-dressed Ivindi, greeting him with a slight smile and a nod.

"Wa aleikum as-salaam, 'akhy* Arash. How's the day find you? I see you're here to lend a helping hand again. I'm sure many will be thankful"

-------------
*friend
"Well, so far, akhy." He nodded to him, and handed one of the water skins to a wizened old grandfather. "I try and do my duty to karma. Temporal suffering is not an easy thing." He smiled towards him. "You as well, I see you here."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:20 pm

Arash Karuvah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:50 pm
"Well, so far, akhy." He nodded to him, and handed one of the water skins to a wizened old grandfather. "I try and do my duty to karma. Temporal suffering is not an easy thing." He smiled towards him. "You as well, I see you here."
He smiled again, a bit more openly this time. "I do what I can, sayyid. Figure if we all did, there'd be less people in need of it."

He got a jug from a skeletal-looking young man who had approached them and poured some water into it from his bucket.

"It doesn't fail to surprise me to see someone like you around these parts so often though, brother Arash."

He pours some water for a young girl who approaches with a clay pot that looked much too big for her to carry around when full, giving it back half full instead and smiling at the girl with a nod and a quiet "go and come back, it'll be easier that way", then looks back at the Ivindi.

"Speakin' of which, sayyid... I've heard some talk of a competition of sorts - I suppose it's someone for ones of noble birth such as yourself. Have you heard of it?"

---------------
*actually akhy is 'brother', confused it with rafiq :roll:

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Arash shrugged. "It is an unfortuante concern, but as I believe.. noble is not just a caste, but a descriptor as well. I try to live up to both. I provide good karma to others, so my family may receive it."

He started handing off small chunks of bread to everyone who came. "Ah yes, the archery contest, being held in honor of the noble khadi." He shrugged. "I plan to enter, and bring glory to my teachers back home. Will you be in attendance?"

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:58 pm

Arash Karuvah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:28 pm
Arash shrugged. "It is an unfortuante concern, but as I believe.. noble is not just a caste, but a descriptor as well. I try to live up to both. I provide good karma to others, so my family may receive it."

He started handing off small chunks of bread to everyone who came. "Ah yes, the archery contest, being held in honor of the noble khadi." He shrugged. "I plan to enter, and bring glory to my teachers back home. Will you be in attendance?"
The whole talk of karma sounded a bit strange to Faruq, to be honest... he'd heard of it, sure, and it could make some sense as a belief, he thought. But the idea of 'getting a better deal next life' he remembered from what he had learned sounded a bit like an excuse. Still... if it made a noble actually help the poor, it couldn't be that bad, right? Even though the whole 'I do that because I shall receive' sounded strangely similar to what some of the money lenders in the Dahabi did...

"The archery contest, yes, that was it." He thought for a while. "Well, can't say it's really my sort of deal... but if they'll accept people like me", he shrugged. "Maybe I can take a shot at it", he said, with a slight chuckle at the not wholly intended joke. "Although... you might say I'm sceptical, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Dahabi to come up with the 'noblest one', if you know what I mean", he says with a lopsided smile. "Still... I'll be happy for the chance to see you competing, at least."

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:13 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:58 pm

The whole talk of karma sounded a bit strange to Faruq, to be honest... he'd heard of it, sure, and it could make some sense as a belief, he thought. But the idea of 'getting a better deal next life' he remembered from what he had learned sounded a bit like an excuse. Still... if it made a noble actually help the poor, it couldn't be that bad, right? Even though the whole 'I do that because I shall receive' sounded strangely similar to what some of the money lenders in the Dahabi did...

"The archery contest, yes, that was it." He thought for a while. "Well, can't say it's really my sort of deal... but if they'll accept people like me", he shrugged. "Maybe I can take a shot at it", he said, with a slight chuckle at the not wholly intended joke. "Although... you might say I'm sceptical, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Dahabi to come up with the 'noblest one', if you know what I mean", he says with a lopsided smile. "Still... I'll be happy for the chance to see you competing, at least."
Arash continued handing off his suppliers - now some dates - with a kind smile to whomever was coming. He let out a chuckle. "Oh, my, I did not know you dabbled in comedy sidi." He stretched his neck and back a bit. "Well, I'll be curious. Will certainly try my best. I did not think that archery is a prevalent art among the folk here? I did not see many practice it with any regularity."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Arash Karuvah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:13 pm
Arash continued handing off his suppliers - now some dates - with a kind smile to whomever was coming. He let out a chuckle. "Oh, my, I did not know you dabbled in comedy sidi." He stretched his neck and back a bit. "Well, I'll be curious. Will certainly try my best. I did not think that archery is a prevalent art among the folk here? I did not see many practice it with any regularity."
Faruq likewise keeps distributing the water to those who come for it - and now he kneels closer to help patch up a lady who came to him with a wound on her left foot.

"Well... I suppose you'll understand why not. Not much room to shoot something at a distance without hitting a wall - or a person - here, as you can see", he says, moving his head around as if to point at the surroundings since his hands were busy with the lady's foot. "Maybe the rich folks have a liking - and space - for that, in their gardens. Maybe some go out to the desert to practice." He shrugs. "I never had much time or means for that... but if they'll provide the latter, I can find the former, at least to see those who actually know what they're doing at the competition", he said, smiling slightly as he finished bandaging the woman's foot and bade her peace on her way.

Arash Karuvah

Post by Arash Karuvah » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:42 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Faruq likewise keeps distributing the water to those who come for it - and now he kneels closer to help patch up a lady who came to him with a wound on her left foot.

"Well... I suppose you'll understand why not. Not much room to shoot something at a distance without hitting a wall - or a person - here, as you can see", he says, moving his head around as if to point at the surroundings since his hands were busy with the lady's foot. "Maybe the rich folks have a liking - and space - for that, in their gardens. Maybe some go out to the desert to practice." He shrugs. "I never had much time or means for that... but if they'll provide the latter, I can find the former, at least to see those who actually know what they're doing at the competition", he said, smiling slightly as he finished bandaging the woman's foot and bade her peace on her way.
Arash nodded. "Quite true, I have forgotten about that. Not much space and place to practice it." His thoughts crossed. Perhaps he could teach it to some...but that might run counter to the spirit of the law. He frowned. Always that question.

"Well, perhaps I can at least entertain you and the others somewhat."