Buried Knowledge [Day 1, LM, Razed University, Open]

Bazir

Re: Buried Knowledge [Day 1, LM, Razed University, Open]

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:00 pm

''You come quite early for lunch sayyeda Al-Haffit'' he replied, leaning back and wondering what the Dahabi was after

''I seem to catch some at the right time, before they make mistakes that are unlikely to be tolerated in our city.''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:10 pm

Rufus looks back and forth between the two and settles back on Nazir.

"So, is there nowhere else to study?"
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1
Carries: Pugio, charcoal and parchment, skin of vinum, camping equipment
For combat: Scutum, two pilum, gladius, chain shirt

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:22 pm

Bazir return his attention Rufus

"There are a few but they are more private. I suggest the Senpet quarter since their architects are the one responsable for the most splendid constructions in the city." He pauses to get another sip
"You could ask the Houses if Dahab but they are likely to make you pay for the information...unless you make friends with some of them".

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:36 pm

"Hmm, that is potentially a problem. I don't know if I have anything to offer them. The...Sempet, they are the builders? I'm afraid that I am no merchant" Rufus sips the coffee again
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 pm

''The senpet are the people of an old empire. A quite pious one, in fact, and they are used to raise great temples to their gods. Their capital may be the largest city in the world.''

He paused before continuing

''If you are not a merchant, what are you then?''

Sada-al-Haffit

Post by Sada-al-Haffit » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 am

"I assume from your interest in siege craft, that you are either a soldier or an architect? Don't give up hope about not getting knowledge from a Dahabi just because you don't have coin, there's plenty of other ways to pay ones part of a barter."
Dahabi| House Haffit| Water distribution business owner
Influence 1| Reputation 1| Integrity 2.5
Sage, Very Wealthy, and ready to help

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 am

"A scout." Rufus replies. "The Yodotai Empire knows little of this city and what goes on within it. There are those willing to reward for information about whether to make a larger scale expedition. Things like "how would we be treated?" and "is there a place for our scholars to visit?" or "make the trip armed, there are bandits in the roads" or "Is there anything of useful engineering to learn." Rufus shrugs. "Things like that"

Rufus inclines his head at the merchant. "I like to imagine it's both...or rather, service as a soldier leads to service as an engineer. The Yodotai building philosophy is... " He pauses to look for the word "Pragmatic. Towns have begin in places because soldiers needed to dig in, and then lasted so long they required a steady flow of merchants for supplies, and then the merchants need housing and then merchant and soldiers want to marry... You get the idea. New ways of building could be invaluable"

Sada-al-Haffit

Post by Sada-al-Haffit » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:18 am

"All of the best things are made out of simpler parts, and they rarely seem to fit together when they are separated. But given a chance, they very well surprise even the most experienced sages." As she is saying this, a waiter comes by and presents what she ordered, a hard boiled egg, some coffee, and some sugar cubes.
Dahabi| House Haffit| Water distribution business owner
Influence 1| Reputation 1| Integrity 2.5
Sage, Very Wealthy, and ready to help

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 am

''Perhaps sayyeda Al-Haffit has connections or knowledge to fit the architects you seek'' he steepled his fingers ''I will keep an eye open but I do suggest you begin to learn playing shatranj''

He paused

''The game the elders were engaged in when we came in, remember? It is a strategy game were the pieces represent military units and thus something a soldier might enjoy. Many play in the city and it could give you a good opportunity to engage in conversation and get more familiar with the Jewel's diverse population.''

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:18 am

Sada-al-Haffit wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:18 am
"All of the best things are made out of simpler parts, and they rarely seem to fit together when they are separated. But given a chance, they very well surprise even the most experienced sages." As she is saying this, a waiter comes by and presents what she ordered, a hard boiled egg, some coffee, and some sugar cubes.
Am...am I supposed to know what that means? Rufus nods along politely, trying to mask his ignorance.
Bazir wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 am
''Perhaps sayyeda Al-Haffit has connections or knowledge to fit the architects you seek'' he steepled his fingers ''I will keep an eye open but I do suggest you begin to learn playing shatranj''

He paused

''The game the elders were engaged in when we came in, remember? It is a strategy game were the pieces represent military units and thus something a soldier might enjoy. Many play in the city and it could give you a good opportunity to engage in conversation and get more familiar with the Jewel's diverse population.''
"A game?" Rufus casts a look back at the board with odd looking pieces that the others are playing. He had seen it when he walked in, but it hadn't registered. "Oh, is the horse supposed to be cavalry?"