Buried Knowledge [Day 1, LM, Razed University, Open]

Rufus Belgica

Re: Buried Knowledge [Day 1, LM, Razed University, Open]

Post by Rufus Belgica » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:41 pm

Rufus snatches a sugar cube and drops it inside, clearly uninterested in taking another sip without sweetener.

"I don't mean to offend. It's not... bad, just... unexpected." The Yodotai clears his throat.

"But I assume that is not the trouble you were speaking of earlier"
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1
Carries: Pugio, charcoal and parchment, skin of vinum, camping equipment
For combat: Scutum, two pilum, gladius, chain shirt

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:51 pm

Bazir gave a slow nod

''No offense taken'' he assured ''You will get used to coffee in time. It banishes sleep and keeps the body invigorated so it would so there are upsides to the taste.''

''But you are right, the old university is a dangerous place for more then one reason. Why do you think a bustling city would keep a ruin inside one of it's busiest quarters for well over a century?''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 am

"I can think of a few reasons" Rufus lifts the cup back to his lips, this time his expression softer as he sips. "One would be as an expression of power: Here is a thriving section of the city, and by my hand, it stays in ruin. Pray that you do not incur the same wrath. Another would be that there is something that they fear people would find."
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:16 pm

''Your first assumption is correct, sayyed, it is a remainder of the sorcerous power of the Immortal Caliph and a promise to those who defy her.'' he takes a sip of his own coffee and takes a moment to fully appreciate the dark rich taste of the roast.

''Your second is a mistake many makes...The ruin is a trap. Any who is not in the employ of the Caliph caught rummaging inside can be assumed to be sympathetic to the traitor's goals or under suspicion to traffic forbidden magics.''

He pauses

''If the guards or the spies do not catch you then the ghuls and revenants will. That is the fate of most who goes too deep''

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:07 pm

"Magics? That was done using magic?" The simple statement caught the Yodotai off guard. "I had assumed a form of siegecraft." The young foreigner's brow furrows in thought.

I don't quite agree that it would not be worthwhile to search there...but not for me.

The Yodotai had no magic of their own. For Rufus, it was something he simply had no expertise in.

"But if the school has been gone for centuries, who continues the study? Where are the architects and engineers trained? I find it hard to believe that zero knowledge has been collected for centuries. Someone would have done it"

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:23 pm

''Siegecraft?'' the merchant mused ''An interesting assumption. So it is knowledge of engineering and architecture that interest you?''

Grew curious indeed

''Are you one of that profession?''

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:48 pm

"Well, yes." Rufus replies bluntly. "I...well, I would say that I have no talent for the wrangling of spirits, or whatever makes magic..." Rufus makes a vague gesture "Magic"

"The way the city builders went about their choices is fascinatingly different from what I have seen before. I wonder if it is a choice of aesthetic, or of directed need, or perhaps a requirement of materials...but I am droning on." Rufus coughs into his hand. "I had hoped to learn a bit more about those choices, but it would appear that my initial search was poorly placed in that search"

Sada-al-Haffit

Post by Sada-al-Haffit » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:12 pm

Another customer enters the establishment, goes to the counter, and orders a coffee and a boiled egg. She then noticed the red head and politely waits for an invitation to sit down.
Dahabi| House Haffit| Water distribution business owner
Influence 1| Reputation 1| Integrity 2.5
Sage, Very Wealthy, and ready to help

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:24 pm

Rufus sees a new shape out of the corner of his eye, and does a quick double take.

"Is that a friend of yours, Amici Bazir? Or...well" Rufus looks a bit uncomfortable. "I do have a knack for drawing attention"

Sada-al-Haffit

Post by Sada-al-Haffit » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:32 pm

She notices the side conversation and figured it would be best to approach and talk to them before bad rumors start. "Hello Bazir, I see the far travellers are already finding this place. And so early in the day? Let us hope this streak of good tidings continue." Turning to the red head "Greetings, I am Sada-al-Haffit, and who might you be?"
Dahabi| House Haffit| Water distribution business owner
Influence 1| Reputation 1| Integrity 2.5
Sage, Very Wealthy, and ready to help