Buried Knowledge [Day 1, LM, Razed University, Open]

Rufus Belgica

Re: Buried Knowledge [Day 1, LM, Razed University, Open]

Post by Rufus Belgica » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:33 pm

"Ha!" Rufus relaxes his shoulders, though he keeps his hand on the pommel of the pugio. "I can say that is at least an interesting bit of advertisement for your store."

Rufus cocks his head to the side. "Is "coffee" the local vinum? Perhaps included in your price is the reason why exploring around here is so foolish"
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life
Influence: City 1, Origin 1, Faction 1
Carries: Pugio, charcoal and parchment, skin of vinum, camping equipment
For combat: Scutum, two pilum, gladius, chain shirt

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:55 pm

''I do not know this vinum you speak of but I can see you must be very knew here to not know coffee'' Bazir was continuing to walk further in the alley ''I can give you some answers, it is the least I can provide...but not here.''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm

Rufus followed along, keeping a few wary paces back and ready to flee if it turned out to be a trap.

"You could say that I'm new here. This was my first stop: the stories of great stores of knowledge, the minds of a kingdom collaborating on science and building...well, it has been a disappointment so far"
Yodotai | Warrior | Inquisitive | Not from Around Here | Obtuse to the finer things in life

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm

The man 'guiding' the yodotai changed ways several times before finally arriving into a main artery

''You are a few centuries late, I am afraid'' he finally replied has he became more relaxed and joined the street's traffic

''My establishment is just ahead.''

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:49 pm

"Hmm. I don't know whether to be disappointed or relieved by that."

The care with which his guide moved was not lost on the Yodotai. He also relaxes as he reaches he main artery of the street. The odds of being jumped had just gone way down.

"Is that it?" Rufus asks, pointed ahead in the direction that the man was heading.

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:06 pm

''My café, The Cat's Tail.'' he replied, nodding ''There few patrons in the morning, mostly regulars up for their morning brews and a game of shatranj or two''

There were indeed a motley older men and women, perhaps slightly above half a dozen or so, sipping a dark liquid while either playing some game on a checkered board or gossiping.

Bazir greeted the group and exchanged a few pleasantries before going inside

''We can speak in relative comfort here...please take a seat and be at ease.'' he motioned towards an empty and well cushioned alcove. ''I will bring the drinks in but a moment''

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 pm

Rufus takes a seat, looking around as the man returns with drinks. "So, might you tell me the danger that I apparently was blithely stepping into. If the ruin site is centuries old, why do they care if people observe it?"

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 pm

The man came back with two delicate trays of polished steel he layed down on a small table between them. One of them held cups while the other held glasses of water and some sort of powdery cubes on small plates

''If this is your first time then take a sip and add either sugar or cream to taste or keep it black'' he said after opening the cups but before sitting down

''First things first, stranger. Let's make proper introduction. I am Bazir Ibn Abdullah.''

Rufus Belgica

Post by Rufus Belgica » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 pm

"I am Rufus of Belgica, of the Province of Gallim." Rufus responds, nodding in appreciation and lifting the cup in a salute, before taking a sip. He sniffs the cup, nostrils furrowing at the scent. It was a delightful one, somewhere between woodsmoke and toasted nuts. Rufus takes a sip, instantly making a face in surprise from the bitterness.

"That's...that's something. And I've had back alley boarding house grappa. Is the smell supposed to trick you?"

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 pm

The shop owner seemed rather amused by the display.

''A pleasure, Si Rufus. I must admit I do not recall anyone unfamiliar with the brew...some like the bitterness while others sweeten the coffee when they order it but...''
he reaches for a cup of water to cleanse his palate before taking his own coffee

''...in your case it was not possible to know so you will have to try to sweeten it yourself. The sugar cubes are right here...erm, begin with one and let it melt inside.''