Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Faruq Al-Farhan

Re: Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:14 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:56 pm
"Those at a disadvantage may have their hand strengthened with knowledge. Not all can learn truth by themselves." Aydi replied a bit cryptically. "Few things harm the soul more than suffering without reason."
Another tired smile at the fezzed man, this one tinted with a hint of understanding in his eyes. "Ah, yes... knowledge is worth more than the most precious metal at times, that much is true." He walks a few steps silently before looking at the man again. "I sometimes wonder, however. Sometimes, when the truth behind is grim... does more knowledge lead to more or less suffering, would you say?"
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:27 pm

"I believe there's no one answer to that. If someone's happy without knowing, I'd rather leave them in that bliss. Hence I wouldn't expose a child to all the cruelties of this world, unless they were already harmed by them. I think it's the disquieted minds that knowing can heal." Aydi said solemnly. It seemed it wasn't a merely philosophical dispute for him, but a deeply felt practical concern.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:15 pm
"Hmm... That could work I guess. Which café did you tell me you own? Of course we need to discuss our respective shares. I'd say 50% of the raw profit plus a bonus of 10% per half a pound sold sounds fair."
''Fifty per cent of the profits after expenditures would be fair, sayyed.'' Bazir smiles ''It would not do to skift those who would prepare the snacks''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:29 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:27 pm
"I believe there's no one answer to that. If someone's happy without knowing, I'd rather leave them in that bliss. Hence I wouldn't expose a child to all the cruelties of this world, unless they were already harmed by them. I think it's the disquieted minds that knowing can heal." Aydi said solemnly. It seemed it wasn't a merely philosophical dispute for him, but a deeply felt practical concern.
Faruq nodded, his expression now quite serious. "I suppose that makes sense. Although some children have been exposed to a fair share of cruelty, unfortunately. But perhaps you're right in that exposing them to more would hardly help."

Some more quiet steps ahead, he turns his head to the man again. "So... this knowledge for disquieted minds... does it include knowledge about people?"
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm

"It does, by definition." He admitted.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm
"It does, by definition." He admitted.
The man nodded, then fell quiet for some more time. If Aydi looked at his eyes, he could see some worry, or maybe sadness.

He'd looked up and down himself, for quite a long time.

But maybe...

"And might I ask how much that knowledge would cost?"

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 pm

"If you are aggrieved, Sidi, I could become interested in your problem free of charge. If you're merely curious, it depends." Aydi said after a moment of thought.

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm

Bazir wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 pm

''Fifty per cent of the profits after expenditures would be fair, sayyed.'' Bazir smiles ''It would not do to skift those who would prepare the snacks''
"But your workload is basically the same if you have to prepare a bit less or a bit more, while each sold portion requires of me that I counterbargain for it without waning all event long.

50% with a 5% bonus if I sell more than two pounds."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm

"But your workload is basically the same if you have to prepare a bit less or a bit more, while each sold portion requires of me that I counterbargain for it without waning all event long.

50% with a 5% bonus if I sell more than two pounds."
''Three pounds...on a day to day basis''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:52 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:44 pm
"If you are aggrieved, Sidi, I could become interested in your problem free of charge. If you're merely curious, it depends." Aydi said after a moment of thought.
The man looked at him, one eyebrow unconsciously raised.

Aggrieved, he said?

'Fair treatment' was not something he would say many in the Jewel got. Maybe some believed they did. But threats of losing one's home, seeing your family starving, having to choose between the lesser of two evils on a daily basis?

Still... trust was not something that came easily to one who had gone through that sort of thing.

"Well... let's say there are some faces I'd very much like to see again." His own face becomes... perhaps more gentle, but maybe also a bit pained as he speaks.

"I suppose that might fall into 'curious' in your categories?"