Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Faruq Al-Farhan

Re: Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:31 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 pm
"Surely! I have never really travelled anywhere else my entire life." Aydi gestured around, careful not to punch anyone. "And for as many generations as my father can trace back."
A slight, but sincere smile grows into the man's face. "That's two things we have in common, then. Maybe one day I may get to see more of the world... but I don't see that day anywhere near."

He sighed. "Sometimes I wonder what keeps so many here. Draw here I clearly know, but keep?"

He shrugged, then looked up at Shilah's gaze for a moment. He said that, but for him, at least... he knew his reasons. Some, at least.
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 am

"Where else to go, really? Certainly, the city brings as many woes as it offers marvels, but everywhere around it's worse, especially for simple men." He chuckled, apparently meaning them both. "Here at least you can live among people to whom you matter and your work can matter too." Aydi noticed a woman in the crowd that seemed distinct. "Maybe the Ra'shari have vibrant communities too, but I don't know much about them."
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm

Bazir wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Ah, the life of the market.

''It is certainly a better deal then what I am offered here!'' he replied with an exaggerated expression
"Indeed, indeed! You're a clever man who knows a bad – or a good – deal when he sees one. I know, why don't you give my dear Abu the cold hard cash he so desires, and I'll pay you back, plus a little extra on top for your trouble, on the next week? It's free money!"
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm

"Indeed, indeed! You're a clever man who knows a bad – or a good – deal when he sees one. I know, why don't you give my dear Abu the cold hard cash he so desires, and I'll pay you back, plus a little extra on top for your trouble, on the next week? It's free money!"
''Ah!'' Bazir exclaimed ''Alas I do not know you, sidi. If I knew you for as long as Apu then we certainly could have worked something together but alas we do not share that relationship!''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:54 pm

Bazir wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:24 pm
''Ah!'' Bazir exclaimed ''Alas I do not know you, sidi. If I knew you for as long as Apu then we certainly could have worked something together but alas we do not share that relationship!''
"The name's Al-Haddar. Born and raised in the Jewel. Have been working as a honest merchant since I was a young boy."

Crooked smile on Abu's face.

"Always managed to keep myself out of trouble in spite of living in one of the most troubled quarters of the city. My good mother would have been heartbroken if I hadn't. And with the recent death of my dear brother, there's only me left to take care of her as age is catching up with her."

"You've got at least four other siblings," barked Abu.

"Mostly only me. The rest of the family operates in more... high risks, high gains fields. I'm the stable income of the family. Steady Haddar they call me as I always find a way to at least break even in any transaction."

Abu's face suggested he wasn't that convinced of the veracity of that statement.

"So, now that you know me..."
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:59 pm

''I certainly heard a description of you from your own mouth!'' he replied, eyebrow raised ''You have a good tongue, sayyed, but I do wonder why our good Apu here is reluctant to close the deal if your professed reliability is genuine''

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:12 pm

Bazir wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:59 pm
''I certainly heard a description of you from your own mouth!'' he replied, eyebrow raised ''You have a good tongue, sayyed, but I do wonder why our good Apu here is reluctant to close the deal if your professed reliability is genuine''
Abu tried to answer the question himself but Al-Haddar struck first:

"Good old Abu just has a no credit, ever policy. And while I respect that he puts so much strength in his convictions, life is complex, and changing, and even our personal rules sometimes need to be adjusted to match the new reality of things. As in, he never had a customer as reliable as me before.

It's one thing to be cautious around shady characters like Painted-Red Zairah or Tomorrow-For-Sure Jalal. But your good friend Al-Haddar? Your goods couldn't be in safer hands."

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:44 pm

And here I think Stavro was a good high-pressure salesman...
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:42 pm

''A question then: How much pistachios do you intent to get out of this and what will you do with them?''

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:02 pm

Bazir wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:42 pm
''A question then: How much pistachios do you intent to get out of this and what will you do with them?''
"Well my friend, let me explain my ironclad business plan to you.

There is this archery tournament coming up that has caught the attention to the elite due to being officially supported by Majdala al-Rashid of the Khadi. I expect quite a big number of people with money to spare will come to see what this is all about.

And you know how are events, they always take forever to set up and to go on. People will get thirsty and hungry... And here I come with my pistachios! For only a few pools, you get a fistful of nice pistachios to satisfy your growing appetite and appease your boredom... and I get a nice profit!

Of course, selling water would be even more popular than pistachios, and I don't doubt some will do it... But water is heavy and people drink a ton. I would only do a couple of sales then have nothing left to sale. Meanwhile a single bag packed to the brim with pistachios carefully rationed is enough for me to make a continuous stream of sales all day long."