Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Al-Haddar

Re: Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Bazir wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:50 am
Not far from the two man a third one was looking over the food stalls, inspecting the produce

''You ask how much for this lettuce? Oh please, do you think I am blind or dumb? I could get lamb from Abu's at that price!''

Haggling starts early in the Bazar!
While not haggling would have been a breach of the Bazar's etiquette, a nearby man was pushing the concept a bit further than usual:

"My good Abu, come on, I'm sure you can do me that favor. Did I ever betray your trust before? I've been a regular of yours for years now, and I've never given you any trouble all that time.

The deal couldn't be safer. I take two full pounds of your pistachio right now for one quarter of the absurd price you're asking me of them, and I'll pay the remainder next week. I'll have the money for sure. I plan to sell them by the fistful to the audience of that fancy archery contest, rich folks who don't know the true value of things.

It cannot go wrong. Most solid business plan in the whole Jewel. No risk, all benefits. And all I need for it to work is one small favor... A favor you even get paid for!"
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:30 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:06 pm
Faruq nodded with a smile that didn't seem too happy. "That it must. Hopefully some of that flow will reach those who need it most, eh?"

He looks around at the nearest stalls. "So... a guard, then? I... suppose those in command wouldn't be too happy about common people walking by your side while you folks are doing rounds? Wouldn't want to get in your way, as you might imagine", he adds with another faint smirk.
"I don't mind, sidi. To make sure people get some fairness one must be close to them, no?" He seemed unphased by the weirdness of his statement in the context of Caliph's 'justice' - he seemed either supremely hypocritical or supremely naive if one was a sceptic about human nature. Aydi ruffled his dog's head, who had sat and glared longingly toward the mutton stall, but was well-behaved enough not to mindlessly pursue his salivatingly intense desire. "But it's up to you." The man's smile was disconcertingly genuine.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:30 pm
"I don't mind, sidi. To make sure people get some fairness one must be close to them, no?" He seemed unphased by the weirdness of his statement in the context of Caliph's 'justice' - he seemed either supremely hypocritical or supremely naive if one was a sceptic about human nature. Aydi ruffled his dog's head, who had sat and glared longingly toward the mutton stall, but was well-behaved enough not to mindlessly pursue his salivatingly intense desire. "But it's up to you." The man's smile was disconcertingly genuine.
The poorer-looking man raised an eyebrow for just a moment, but the gesture was soon gone, replaced with a half-hearted smile of his own. "If it won't bother you, then.", he said, timing his steps with Aydi's. "Maybe a humble man can learn something from walking beside the eyes of the law, 'alays kdhlk*?"

Whether Aydi's words were hypocritical or naïve, Faruq's seem to be the same. Or perhaps they are in fact sincere... words were tricky, after all.

------
*'alays kdhlk -> 'isn't it', or more precisely 'isn't it also?'
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Kezia

Post by Kezia » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Kezia had very seldom entered the city- and the sheer kaleidoscope of people- the colors, the sounds, the smells- was really quite a thing.

The young Ra'Shari was dressed to avoid undue attention- a simple cloak, a worn blouse, a worn pair of trousers, simple shoes- very much one of the poorer souls to dare to venture into the Bazaar.

She kept her head down- figuratively- even as she took it all in.

What a place!

So much... stuff, all piled up, all changing hands- and everyone, buyers and sellers alike- making a game of it, despite the seriousness of their business.
Ra'Shari * Warrior * A Bit Weird
Influence: 1/1/1 Reputation: Glorious 1.3/Infamous 0 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Typically Carries: A staff, two knives, and a slightly distracted air.

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:26 pm

While not haggling would have been a breach of the Bazar's etiquette, a nearby man was pushing the concept a bit further than usual:

"My good Abu, come on, I'm sure you can do me that favor. Did I ever betray your trust before? I've been a regular of yours for years now, and I've never given you any trouble all that time.

The deal couldn't be safer. I take two full pounds of your pistachio right now for one quarter of the absurd price you're asking me of them, and I'll pay the remainder next week. I'll have the money for sure. I plan to sell them by the fistful to the audience of that fancy archery contest, rich folks who don't know the true value of things.

It cannot go wrong. Most solid business plan in the whole Jewel. No risk, all benefits. And all I need for it to work is one small favor... A favor you even get paid for!"
Ah! That kind of haggling take some balls.

''You hear? Apu is willing to sell his pistachios for peanuts! Meanwhile you sell this lettuce like if you took it from the Basiri's own table!''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Al-Haddar

Post by Al-Haddar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:02 pm

Bazir wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:03 pm

Ah! That kind of haggling take some balls.

''You hear? Apu is willing to sell his pistachios for peanuts! Meanwhile you sell this lettuce like if you took it from the Basiri's own table!''
Abu wasn't deaf, and while his reputation wasn't perfect, he was willing to not damage it further. The negotiations were thus starting to take a sour turn.

"Abu, he wasn't really thinking it. You're about to make a good deal, for real. This man just got a little too much into the bargaining talk that's all."

Al-Haddar turned to face the lettuce buyer.

"Isn't it mister? Tell my good friend Abu how good the deal I'm offering would be for the both of us."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm
The poorer-looking man raised an eyebrow for just a moment, but the gesture was soon gone, replaced with a half-hearted smile of his own. "If it won't bother you, then.", he said, timing his steps with Aydi's. "Maybe a humble man can learn something from walking beside the eyes of the law, 'alays kdhlk*?"

Whether Aydi's words were hypocritical or naïve, Faruq's seem to be the same. Or perhaps they are in fact sincere... words were tricky, after all.
"Eyes of the law sounds way too grandiose for me, sidi!" Aydi laughed, raising his dog with an affectionate pat. "I may be but a hair in the nose of it!" He tapped his nose, laughing. "Not sure how much can be learned from that, but do tag along then. I am Aydi." The dog woofed at the sound of the name.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:16 pm

Al-Haddar wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:02 pm

Abu wasn't deaf, and while his reputation wasn't perfect, he was willing to not damage it further. The negotiations were thus starting to take a sour turn.

"Abu, he wasn't really thinking it. You're about to make a good deal, for real. This man just got a little too much into the bargaining talk that's all."

Al-Haddar turned to face the lettuce buyer.

"Isn't it mister? Tell my good friend Abu how good the deal I'm offering would be for the both of us."
Ah, the life of the market.

''It is certainly a better deal then what I am offered here!'' he replied with an exaggerated expression
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:46 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 pm
"Eyes of the law sounds way too grandiose for me, sidi!" Aydi laughed, raising his dog with an affectionate pat. "I may be but a hair in the nose of it!" He tapped his nose, laughing. "Not sure how much can be learned from that, but do tag along then. I am Aydi." The dog woofed at the sound of the name.
The other man laughed a bit at Aydi's remark, at least. "We'll see how much can be learned from standing under the law's nose, then, rafiq Aydi." He nodded again, greeting the man with an appropriate gesture - a hand on his shoulder, most likely. "I'm called Faruq... born and raised here. My pleasure!"

"And what about you, rafiq? From your accent I'm supposing you're also from the city?"
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:05 pm

"Surely! I have never really travelled anywhere else my entire life." Aydi gestured around, careful not to punch anyone. "And for as many generations as my father can trace back."