Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Al-Haddar

Re: Walk with the Dog [EM, Thoroughfare, Open]

Post by Al-Haddar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:01 am

Bazir wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 pm

''Three pounds...on a day to day basis''
"Fine, but I'm cutting my own hand off at such a bargain. I hope the pistachios will be artfully cooked and deliciously looking in exchange of my sacrifice."
Mekham • "Diplomat" • Peddler • Chatterbox • Bland
Influence: Simple citizen (1) | Reputation: None to speak of (1) | Integrity: What? (1.5)
Languages: Mekham, Senpet / Carries: Anything you might want to buy / Profile

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 am

Faruq Al-Farhan wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:52 pm
The man looked at him, one eyebrow unconsciously raised.

Aggrieved, he said?

'Fair treatment' was not something he would say many in the Jewel got. Maybe some believed they did. But threats of losing one's home, seeing your family starving, having to choose between the lesser of two evils on a daily basis?

Still... trust was not something that came easily to one who had gone through that sort of thing.

"Well... let's say there are some faces I'd very much like to see again." His own face becomes... perhaps more gentle, but maybe also a bit pained as he speaks.

"I suppose that might fall into 'curious' in your categories?"
"How about I look into it and then we'll decide which category it might fall into?" Aydi gave him a serious but good-natured look.
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy
Integrity: Untrustworthy | Reputation: 1.3 | Influence: All 1

Bazir

Post by Bazir » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am

Al-Haddar wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:01 am
"Fine, but I'm cutting my own hand off at such a bargain. I hope the pistachios will be artfully cooked and deliciously looking in exchange of my sacrifice."
''I am sure the loss of any limb will only be trick of jinns, sidi. The snacks will be ready at sunrise at The Cat's Tail...''
Mekham - Local - café owner
Influence: 1 Reputation: 1 Integrity: Untrustworthy
Carries: Concealed knife, clean robes, stick

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:21 am
"How about I look into it and then we'll decide which category it might fall into?" Aydi gave him a serious but good-natured look.
He looked at the man again, his serious expression almost hiding a slight glint of hope in his eyes.

"You see, rafiq... I've looked up and down for a long time. So it may well be a lost cause."

He fell silent for one more moment, considering what to say, and how to state it. After browsing some fruit at another stall, he looks at Aydi again and starts speaking in a low voice.

"I... let's put it like this, I was away from home for a number of years. Difficult times, for both sides... and I didn't want to make them even harder."

Another pause - Faruq's serious expression seems to be gripped by emotion for a short moment, and he speaks with his eyes to the ground.

"After I... had a life of my own, I tried to search. Looked for the old home, but found nothing. Asked around. Looked for any of the old acquaintances. Nothing."

He looks at Aydi again, his expression controlled again.

"You see, rafiq... I have - had.... no, have - a sister. I've been thinking about her a lot over the last years."

My family, really, he thinks. But it's his sister who he decides to mention.

"After this long, I've almost lost hope a number of times. But for some reason... I refuse to. Sakina. That's her name."
Mekham * Sahir * Serious but kind * Healer for the poor
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:40 am

Aydi felt for the man. His sympathised with his plight, having his own family tribulations, but putting himself even briefly in Faruq's shoes filled him with dread. It certainly fit the definition of 'aggrieved' for him, and there was no doubt in his mind that he'd need to help this man.

"I'll do what I can for you. Let's meet tomorrow at the place of that old house." Aydi replied quietly. "Does your sister share your surname?"
Citizen of the Jewel | Khadi's Dog | Private Detective Otherwise | Accompanied by Dog | Shares Name with That Dog | Cheerful | Helpful | Also Dawg | Has a Grumbling Father Who Calls Him Good Boy

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:52 am

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:40 am
Aydi felt for the man. His sympathised with his plight, having his own family tribulations, but putting himself even briefly in Faruq's shoes filled him with dread. It certainly fit the definition of 'aggrieved' for him, and there was no doubt in his mind that he'd need to help this man.

"I'll do what I can for you. Let's meet tomorrow at the place of that old house." Aydi replied quietly. "Does your sister share your surname?"
Faruq looked at the man with some doubt in his eyes... but there was some hope flickering there as well.

"She should, if she hasn't married and taken someone's name. I... are you sure about that, Sayyid Aydi? I wouldn't want to bring you undue trouble, or take your time when you have pressing matters."

OOC:
(Day 2 is a bit busy for me as I've got into a number of threads spread through the day already and committed to sleeping in the afternoon o_o' Can we do that on D3 maybe?)
Influence: City 1 Origin 1 Faction 1 Reputation: Glorious 2 Infamous 0 Integrity: Above question
Typically Carries: 2 knives, robe and sandals, small ring, incense brazier, medicine kit, sling, coin purse.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 am

"I'll find time once you're ready, Sidi Faruq." He replied. "In the meantime, I'll poke around, see if I can learn anything. Any details you're willing to share can help."

Faruq Al-Farhan

Post by Faruq Al-Farhan » Sun May 02, 2021 3:20 am

Aydi al-Qais wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:59 am
"I'll find time once you're ready, Sidi Faruq." He replied. "In the meantime, I'll poke around, see if I can learn anything. Any details you're willing to share can help."
Faruq takes some time to let the offer sink down before he nods again. He then finally nods, a sparkle of hope in his eyes. "Shukran, sayyid Aydi. I'm really grateful, and I hope I can repay this debt in some way."

"Sakina... the last time I saw her... I was 11, and she had not yet turned 13. That was twelve years ago. The memories of our last times together... it may be a bit hazy and confused. It was probably a had time for her too - I know it was for me. Anyway... she had dark hair, slightly curly. I... think she had it at her shoulder's length when i left, but of course it may have changed much now. She wasn't particularly tall, and she was still almost a child back then... but she was already relatively well-developed. Her skin was a bit darker than mine - perhaps in part because she was out in the sun so much. She had been working in the market... for over a year when I left." It's clear that some emotion builds up as he says that, but he soon shakes it away. "She may have worked there for a longer time after that... but when I asked, noone seemed to remember her. So I really don't know if that's a lead that may take anywhere. Anyway... her eyes. They were much clearer than mine - hazel, I guess you could say."

He seems emotional again, as if remembering images gone by long ago. After some seconds with his eyes lost in the distance, he looks at Aydi again. "As I said before... I've almost lost hope a number of times. And... you know you don't have to do this, rafiq Aydi. But... I thank you again all the same for offering - and as I said, I hope I can do something to repay you."

EDIT: Can't do math apparently. Just noticed if Faruq is 23 now, him being 11 must be 12 years ago, not 10 :roll:
Last edited by Faruq Al-Farhan on Mon May 03, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aydi al-Qais

Post by Aydi al-Qais » Sun May 02, 2021 9:09 am

Aydi listened carefully, and could fill in the bleak blanks it was too painful for Faruq to give accurate names to. He had seen all the things about the city, having been working so close to its underbelly, both vile crimes and daylight injustice that should be criminal. The man's sadness became his own, and he had to squeeze his lips tight so that his lower lip wouldn't shake. At words of repayment or lack of obligation, he just waved those off with an onomatopoeic 'bah'.

"...Sidi Faruq, perhaps you can recall any names she might have shared or you may have overheard. Young girls who work in the market... they are usually supervised in some way. People of that kind usually stay in business way longer than those they leech off."